Not getting power out of A/C port

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default D/C 12 v port to charge cell phone, broken fuse???

Has anyone had any problems with the A/C power port? My phone charger will not work anymore when plugged in to the port. I guess this question is for 03-05 owners.

Last edited by bigbearballs; 05-01-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Not getting power out of A/C port

A/C power port?
Huh?
A/C for air conditioner, or for Alternating Current?

???

Do you mean the D/C 12 v ports?

If so, have you checked the fuses?

Old 04-30-2006, 07:18 PM

D/C 12 v port, I mean. I thought A/C sounded wrong. How can I check the fuses?

Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 PM

You can check the fuses by locating the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side below the steering column. There is also a fuse box under the hood in the engine compartment but your fuse should be in the box inside the car. There should be a chart on the fuse box cover that explain which fuse corresponds to what number located on the box next to each fuse. If there is no chart on the fuse box cover there should be a chart in your owners manual. When you find the correct fuse, just pull it striaght out. You may need a fuse puller that should be located in the lid of the fuse box under the hood in the engine compartment but a pair ofr pliers will work just as well. When you pull it out, to determine if the fuse is bad look at the filiment that is inside. The filiment is similar to that inside of a light bulb. The filiment is in the shape of an upside down U if it is good. If it is bad the U will be broken or gone completly. To replace it, use the proper amp fuse and reinsert. The number of amps is located on the top of the fuse itself. Use the same number on the replacement. For example, a 20 is a 20 amp fuse replace with only a 20 amp , not smaller or larger number.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Wow, great response. I'll give it a shot!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 PM

I took out the Cigar fuse and indeed there was not a U shaped filament. Thanks for the help, once I get a new fuse I'll let know if I get my D/C power back.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../fusecodes.JPG

Old 05-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
I took out the Cigar fuse and indeed there was not a U shaped filament. Thanks for the help, once I get a new fuse I'll let know if I get my D/C power back.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../fusecodes.JPG
There may be a spare replacement fuse under the lid of the fuse box under the hood in the engine compartment.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:53 PM

OK, that fixed the problem. Thanks to all who helped me out. I bought some new fuses at Walmart, I couldn't find the fuse box under the hood. I'm still a newbie to all of this basic car maintenance. Here's a pic of the broken vs. new fuse. Side note, the first new fuse I put in blew after less than one second. I had to put a second new one in and the second fuse is working fine. Perhaps, it's due to the cheap walmart brand.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...vs.newfuse.JPG

Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 PM

You may have another problem if it keeps blowing fuses. Something is causing a load more than what is rating on the fuse. Keep an eye on it, and if it happens again I would question what you are trying to power out of the port. Was the replacement fuse a 15 Amp fuse? But more than likely you are okay.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:44 PM

I did use a 15 amp fuse. I'm running my Sirius Sportster radio through the D/C port. That thing really heats up and it may be killing that fuse. I'm not sure how else I could power it though.

Quick Reply: Not getting power out of A/C port

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands