Not Very Happy With Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Not Very Happy With Civic Hybrid

Originally Posted by rysa4

You are similar. This Honda car is far and away the least expensive to maintain and operate highest fuel efficiency vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing else is even close. Whatever you are whining about is not all typical for the car.
I am all for getting Great fuel economy, I should have performed my research instead of blindly trusting Honda. There are many articles that claim the Civic Hybrid just does not meet the claims. I only suggest anyone considering the Civic look at a Prius, less money and clearly better fuel economy then the Civic. The Civic is a want to be Hybid, the Prius actually will drive on battery alone, the Honda only has auto stop when at a light. If you really want to save the planet steer your friend to a Toyota dealer.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

You might convince other people about 'your agenda' a little more without name calling and being an a**. Calling everyone a 'liberal' and 'scammers' doesn't elevate your argument but i guess that's whats to be expected these days.

To get back on topic I average around 41-43 mpg in mixed driving in my HCH II...not perfect, but all around not bad - my wife averages around 3-4 mpg less so driving style definitely has an impact. After a software update the hybrid driveline does not work as well with very minimal assist on uphills - the software seems to have gotten a lot more conservative in using assist and my mileage has dropped approx 10%. After 80k miles though i havent had any mechanical issues and the car is as tight as new. Honda can definitely improve their IMA driveline and communicate issues to dealers and customers, they need to be upfront more about software issues that are holding it back.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lasvegascivix
I am all for getting Great fuel economy, I should have performed my research instead of blindly trusting Honda. There are many articles that claim the Civic Hybrid just does not meet the claims. I only suggest anyone considering the Civic look at a Prius, less money and clearly better fuel economy then the Civic. The Civic is a want to be Hybid, the Prius actually will drive on battery alone, the Honda only has auto stop when at a light. If you really want to save the planet steer your friend to a Toyota dealer.

What kind of "typical" drive cycle do you have? 10 miles per trip? 20? 30?

5 or less?

In general... Hybrids are no better than "normal" cars on very short trips.

That's why plug ins and Volts are on the way.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cityscapex5
You might convince other people about 'your agenda' a little more without name calling and being an a**. .

With your rude initial response, I am not surprised you took it to another level.
Your response tells a lot about you, no comment required.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought a Civic Hybrid and on the highway I haven't gone under 51 mpg. It's probably your car.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

IN the perfect world the Civid hybrid will get good gas milage. The problem is many of us do not live or drive in a perfect world and when the civic misses the mark, it is not by a little.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry bout your world

Mine was great, I cruise controlled at 55 MPH about 4 car lengths behind a truck and managed 70 mpg for about 10 miles....until I hit the traffic jam lol. Still averaged 57 mpg by the time I got home. Way better than I ever expected.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Many people live in my world, this is why Honda has had to purchase back Civic Hybrids under the lemon law and settle class action law suites. If you have no brain and like to tail gate semi trucks for a few MPG, make sure you have good life insurance.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You are mixing facts. The HCH 2 used to be labeled for 51/49, and they changed their label to 40/45 under new govt rules. The HCH2 meets that for most drivers...just look at the database here and you will see that.

The Toyota hybrid system is entirely different than Honda's. Honda's is much smarter as an assist throughout the entire speed range, while Toyota's system becomes a non factor as you increase speed.

Toyota is best for city driving and honda is best for highway.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Many people live in my world, this is why Honda has had to purchase back Civic Hybrids under the lemon law and settle class action law suites. If you have no brain and like to tail gate semi trucks for a few MPG, make sure you have good life insurance.
One person won a lemon law suit, as the battery degraded due to lack of frequent use,, and a very dumb dealer. The single class action lawsuit was about what I referred to in my last post. I was part of the settlement class FYI and got the settlement papers in the mail.

You are simply fanning flames on a very small fire.

Quick Reply: Not Very Happy With Civic Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands