Oil changes for HCH I

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Psychotaz
Default Oil changes for HCH I

The dealership says oil changes every 5000, but when they did an oil change they put the sticker in my window at 3550. I have heard that you can go to 10000 miles before an oil change. 90% of my driving is highway to work. 40 Mile commute one way. I don't have alot of stop and go traffic and that would be the other 10%. I don't consider this to be severe but normal.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil changes for HCH I

When I had the HCHI, I got mine every 5k because I live in Phx, AZ which theey consider "extreme climate" and the book said every 5k. For non-extreme climate, you can go every 10k per the manual.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I change mine every 6000 kilometers. It seems to have worked well so far. I've got 82000 kilometers on it.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I used to change every 3K but switched to 5K. The synthetic 0-20 seems to do quite well. I have no data to back up 5K over say 10K, other than I think routine oil changes are probably one of the best preventative things to do - and really 5K over 10K means I change the oil a whopping 3 times a year as opposed to 1 or 2. I'm not going to knock myself out over the extra $35.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:06 PM

I go every 5k too. I live in Austin, TX where the average temp is in the 90's. That meets one of the criteria for extreme conditions.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The 3k suggestion is just a conspiracy by the oil makers to try to make you change it more often than necessary. Dealers play right along because they make money on the lie too. I haven't owned a car that recommended doing it more often than 5k since the 80s. Hmmm, that was the last time I owned an american car... get the picture?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

I am wondering on the hybrid vehicles we are doing a lot more stop starts of the engine and everything I have read says that most engine wear takes place during the initial start up when there is no oil pressure.I have not seen any info how this has been overcome in the hybrid engines. I plan on playing it safe and using 0-20 mobil one at 5000 mile intervals.

Last edited by riksmg1; 05-15-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, the dealer/service guys I go to also put 3550 on the window sticker. I think it's a conspiracy, too! There's no way it needs to be changed that often!

I just take off the sticker. It's not that hard to remember when next to get it, especially since I get the oil change aroung 5k. I drive 50 miles a day (25 each way). I'm thinking about stretching it a bit to maybe every 6k or 7500 from now on, since they finally caught on that they were charging me regular prices for the hybrid service. It might save me a few bucks in the long run if I change it less often, but still often enough to be preventative.

What does the manual say? Definately not 3550. I'm pretty sure it said 5k if in extreme driving conditions.

--A

Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 AM

It's 5k in extreme conditions. I think anyone that lives in the US is in an extreme condition area.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tazman
The dealership says oil changes every 5000, but when they did an oil change they put the sticker in my window at 3550. I have heard that you can go to 10000 miles before an oil change. 90% of my driving is highway to work. 40 Mile commute one way. I don't have alot of stop and go traffic and that would be the other 10%. I don't consider this to be severe but normal.
Change it every 10,000 miles like the manufacuter say - at least that's what's in my HCH manual. It's a conspiracy in the US what we have all been brainwahsed to change oil every 3k miles. what a waste. I change oil in all my cars every 10k Miles and they all are in great condition. The same car sold in the US that recommend 3K or 5K oil change recommend 7.5K or 10K oil change in Japan or Europe and their driving conditions are a lot more harsh - The US has some of the best hiways and cleanest air. So, don't buy the hype - 10K miles change interval is the way to go - thank you Honda for stepping up to the plate on this.

Even after 10K miles, if you take the used oil to be analyses, you'll find that it's barely "used."

Quick Reply: Oil changes for HCH I

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands