Paint & Fabric Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Paint & Fabric Protection

Originally Posted by seattlite
I've been a Zaino convert for the past 2 years. I was skeptical, price was rather high, but once I did the application, I was converted: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
I'm with you. I've been doing Zaino for a few years. It SEEMS like a lot of work, but over time, the protection it provides is really worth it. I'm sold.

I've Z'd several cars now and can't beleive how lasting the shine and protection is.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reynolds
While tinting will help against fading, it will do nothing for wear.
Actually, as any sailor knows well, sunlight - particularly UV rays - is the primary cause of wear on ropes and sail material. It damages both natural and synthetic fibers. The reason sails are covered with fabric sail covers at the dock is to protect them from the sun. You see mostly blue sail covers because they provide the best protection against UV.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Whooo hoo... spending all that money to pay for toxic chemicals that can kill you sounds like a great idea, much better than stains on your seats. There's already enough VOCs that are known or suspected carcinogens in a new car without adding more. In the range of 30 to 40 separately identifiable VOCs can be found in new cars, the most prevalent being toluene, acetone, xylenes, styrene, 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene, various C5 to C12 alkanes, ethylbenzene, and ethylene glycol butyl ether.

Facts You Should Know about Cancer According to American Cancer Society:

1 out of 3 Americans will have cancer.

1 out of 2 men will have cancer.

1 out of 3 women will have cancer.

3 out of 4 families will be struck with cancer.

Cancer causes 1 of every 4 deaths in the U.S.

Yeah, the EPA does a knock-out job protecting us.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 AM

No need to ridicule. Actualy most of the chemicas are non-toxic. I don't take much stock in a lot of the reports on carcinogens as most of the time they are tested by putting more of a chemical in a test environment than will ever actualy be encountered in real life. Remember in the 80's when Baloney "caused cancer" humm. Haven't heard much about it in the last 15 years and I still see it on the shelves.

50% of men will have cancer. I must be living on the right side of the coast because where I am I'm not seeing that. Humm. Why would the american cancer society say that? Maybe to scare people into donating money to "find a cure". Sorry not buying that.

3 out of 4 families will be struck with cancer... How could that be if the numbers are as they say EVERY family will be struck wil cancer unless very very luckly.

Excessive use of chemicals may indeed cause problems. But I don't see anyone scotchgaurding their tounge or daily spraying the inside of their car.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Banned
Default Obvious But Seldom Mentioned...

Notice that red signs fade a lot quicker than blue or green signs?

Old 11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Vegetarian

this may not apply, and is probably common sense, but the previous owner of my old car used to do her hair in the car, hair spray all over the drivers seat, baked on and crunchy, ew. so no hair spray.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tbaleno
No need to ridicule. Actualy most of the chemicas are non-toxic.
I'm not meaning to ridicule. I am meaning to question. I am increasingly perplexed at how so many people who visit a site called "greenhybrid.com" seem to not really be "green" in other ways. Take the ethylbenzene as one of the VOCs that's in your car. It's what's known as a "chemical of concern" or a chemical that "drives" remediation of gasoline leaks from gas stations because it's not nice stuff for your body. Why worry about saving gasoline if you don't care that you're exposing yourself to some of its most toxic components inside your car? Is it just to save money at the pump?

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I don't take much stock in a lot of the reports on carcinogens as most of the time they are tested by putting more of a chemical in a test environment than will ever actually be encountered in real life. Remember in the 80's when Baloney "caused cancer" humm. Haven't heard much about it in the last 15 years and I still see it on the shelves.
Cancer is the number 2 cause of death in the US, right behind heart disease. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/cancer.htm (scroll down to mortality). Are you trying to tell me you don't know anyone with cancer? And it's not so much it's ranking as a cause of death that is the problem, it's the escalation in numbers of new cases every year that I think is most compelling.

I could go into nitrites and nitrates in bologna, but that would be taking the thread further off topic. Instead, interested people could themselves research 1) the content of nitrites and nitrates in food and 2) the effect of nitrites nitrates on the human body. Or not.

As for scotchguard, here's some suggested reading. This was put out by the Environmental Working Group. You can call them biased if you'd like, but you could also weigh their evidence for yourself. And yes, this talks about 3M phasing out the use of PFOs but they're now using PFOAs or C8 or something like that:

http://www.chemicalindustryarchives....otchgard/1.asp

Old 11-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the great info! I think I'll just scotchguard the fabric and wax on a regular basis. The Zaino process looks interesting, I may try that too.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Thanks for all the great info! I think I'll just scotchguard the fabric and wax on a regular basis. The Zaino process looks interesting, I may try that too.
Make sure you use the Claybar! You won't believe the silky smooth texture and the DEEP shine after the total Zaino application.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by seattlite
Make sure you use the Claybar! You won't believe the silky smooth texture and the DEEP shine after the total Zaino application.
I was wondering about the Claybar. Do you think I still need that given that my car is brand new? I don't have bugs, tar, or any of the other things the Claybar is supposed to remove.

Quick Reply: Paint & Fabric Protection

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands