Panic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Panic!

THis happened to me last Saturday, at close to midnight. On the middle of a CAP mission, we got to the point where I decided to park my car and jump in with some other folks on their 4x4 (we were going up the sierras looking for a possible crashed aircraft)... any way, I found a quiet, dark neighbourhood to park the car, and began putting all my radio gear in the trank. Some time during the process, as I was picking up some stuff from the passenger side, while seated on the drivers seat, I unintentionally hit the panic button.

Door locks automatically locked and the horn began beeping. Boy, could not get the thing to stop. People came out of the houses (we wanted to be discrete) and no way, no matter how many times I pressed the damm thing, it would not stop. Tried putting the key on the ignition, starting the engine... nothing, the thing keep goin on.

Eventually, I decided to step outside and try hitting the panic button from the street. As soon as I unlocked the doors, the thing stopped.

My conclusion is that if you are sitting inside the car and hit panic, the car will lock the doors and start the horn until you manually unlock.

No, I havent looked on the manual or tried again... too noisy!

If you live in Santa Clarita, CA and where awaken last Saturday by me, Sorry!

That was embarrasing, my budies in the car behind could not stop laughin.

2Lt. Juan S. Fernandez
2006 HCH Los Angeles, CA
CAP

Old 03-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: Panic!

Oh boy, do I love those panic buttons.

Some manufacturer's are worse than others, in requireing an absurd sequence of events to remove the "panic" condition. They don't realize that while in panic mode, one can't really think straight...

Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
YA RLY.

If I were designing the keyfob, the panic button would reveal a small Derringer. That would probably make the assailant do the panicking

Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just one question.

What does CAP stand for?

Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Civil Air Patrol.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks !!!! Great heads up !!!! Luckily, I've only needed to use the panic button to FIND my car !!!! Came in VERY HANDY when I lost my car in the Flamingo parking lot in Vegas !!!!