ProClip / PocketPC GPS Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default ProClip / PocketPC GPS Solution

For everyone who is considering a lower cost usable GPS solution and already has a Pocket PC, I have been using the following for a week and like it very much:
-Ipaq 4355
-IOGear Bluetooth GPS w/Nav software

The main issue I am having right now is a place to put the Ipaq when driving so it is visible and I can handle it safely. I've found a site called proclipsusa.com that has a vehicle mount for it, and was wondering if anyone has experience with any of their products or a similar solution?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:26 AM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: ProClip / PocketPC GPS Solution

I posted this a few weeks ago in a different thread. My holder is an Arkon, I got it off eBay after doing a search for "cup holder PDA". Price was around $20 shipped.

This picture is in my Insight but it fits great in my HCH too. Only problem is that darn 12V hookup being behind the cupholder. I also use a 1 oulet to 2 outlet adapter since I like to try to keep my PDA and Bluelogger GPS fully juiced all the time.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi ChesapeakeTechie:

___In the MDX, I use an iPAQ 2215 w/ an i-TREK serial based GPS receiver which is based on a Sirf IIe/LP chipset. Mapopolis (ver. 4.42) is my PDA based GPS SW of choice. The pic below might give you an idea as to what it looks like all setup. The combination communication/power cable is run under and behind the dash, under the A-Pillar, above the headliner to just left of the rear view mirror where the GPS receiver is actually hidden. The combination communication/power cable has a 12 V accessory plug which is inserted in the acc. 12V outlet and is included in the same i-TREK bundle. To hold the iPAQ, I use a Panavise mount. Sturdy, unobtrusive (well just a bit vs. the OEM based unit), and it was relatively inexpensive although it can only be mounted in that one location

___The Panavise for an HCH is listed at the following url: HCH - In Dash by PanaVise

___The pic of the bare base plate as installed is as follows:

___The bare base plate clip comes with a plastic clip attachment block (much nicer looking then the bare metal plate as shown) and with various clips to attach to PDA or PDA case to hang on the mount as well …

___For the Ranger, Corolla, and the Insight (when I owned it), I used the ungainly but extremely utilitarian Arkon CM620 PDA mount.

___The Arkon mount along with an i-TREK CF based GPS receiver (same Sirf IIe/LP chipset) in an ancient but still very useful Casio Cassiopeia and Mapopolis as the SW of choice works very well for an extremely portable setup between the Ranger and Corolla even today.

___When not using your GPS receiver for voice and visually guided point to point directions, I find it very handy for elevation data. The Elevation, Speed, Lat/Long, and Direction of travel screen included with Mapopolis is very useful. It is too bad the overly expensive Honda/Acura OEM NAVI unit(s) do not have an on the fly display screen showing GPS based data (not highway based) in 3 dimensions and a decent direction of travel descriptor. The altitude and Lat/Long at a single point and an icon based off N is up or direction of travel vs. N is nice but why not a much simpler NNW or SW descriptor as well as on the fly elevation and Lat/Long data as an option as well?

___Go ahead and download the Mapopolis SW (the SW is a free download directly from Mapopolis themselves) to use the elevation, Lat/Long location, direction and speed of travel data, as well as how many Bird’s are being tracked, how many are locked, and what the signal strength of all birds tracked (locked and unlocked) in real time. It is the Navteq based downloadable Maps that cost $’s from Mapopolis and I do not believe you need even a single map loaded for this GPS SW tool the last time I checked? I hope you find Mapopolis’ location data as useful as the actual point to point directions of the SW you are currently using.

___Finally, take a look around at some of the sites linked above. Akron, Semson’s, and even GPS Passion as a source of GPA SW/HW reviews might lead to something that works best for your HCH and its unique ergonomics …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Last edited by xcel; 06-20-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

I have an Arkon powered mount from Semson's for my Dell X50v and a CF gps with mapopolis. I do Real Estate Virtual Tour photography and use this setup every day. I don't leave home without it.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

Does no one have this?

Oh wait, i do!! This is by far the best quality phone mount. I have the grey leather one, and it looks like a factory addition to my '04 HCH.

I'll post a pic of it in my car, it looks even better than the photo on the website above.

I have the ProClip mount in my Volvo, so I'm familiar with their design. Not bad, but not the same level of fit and finish as the Kuda model.