Questions about 2006

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: Questions about 2006

Ah! I can answer a few... the sis-in-law was in town last weekend with her new 06 and it was parked next to our 03

The "Autostop Creep" thing - No. It seems to work the same as the previous model, though much quieter. The autostop is quite noticable on my 03, but you have to really try to notice it on the 06. (I think that's mostly due to better sound deadening.) The car doesn't autostop while it's cold. You need to get it up to operating temps for that to work (and it doesn't kick in, in very cold weather like it does on the Accord.) I found this to be functionally the same as the previous model, just quieter/smoother/warmer (the heat doesn't turn all the way off during autostop on the 06, as it does with the older model. The heat/AC system is run partially by the Hybrid system.)

(((There are some older threads here about a "shuddering" when the 06 autostops but I wonder how much of that was from people who aren't used to a car that does that. I noticed quite the opposite, that it's much smoother than the older car.)))

iPod: two choices: you have an Aux jack on the lower part of the instrument panel just in front of the transmission. You can output your ipod through that, using a patch cable that looks like a 2-ended headphone cable (that type of connector, on both ends.) It'll put the sound through your stereo, but you still control the ipod through the click wheel, and it's up to you to keep the thing charged.

The second option is the Honda Audio Link (a civic-only option for the 06) that gives you a connector in the glove compartment. Plug the ipod into it, and you can control the gadget through your steering wheel controls (add the voice stuff with the Nav cars.) That cable also charges the ipod. Figure $200-300 including installation. Worth the $$ if you use your ipod a lot in the car AND you don't want extraneous cables running everywhere, and "Hands-Free" control is important. (I just start a playlist and drive, so I'm learning to live without it on my Accord )

6-Speaker Stereo: That was one of the "deciding points" for me between the full-price 06 Civic and the Heavily-Discounted 05 Accord that I ended up taking home (I left with a $2grand difference between the two cars, so I went with the Accord Hybrid since we already have a Civic Hybrid and really could use a larger car.) Anyway, we took along a "test the radio" CD that was pretty boomy and had a lot of high and low range to it. I found the two cars VERY similar in sound though the Accord is a bit richer mostly because you're bouncing sound off a larger interior surface. But I didn't see a significant difference between the two (which is brownie points for the Civic - it sounds much better than my 03.)

The 6 speakers are: 2 in the front near the windshield, 2 in the front doors, 2 on the back shelf on either side of the air intake for the hybrid system.

How much more quiet: I'm going to vote for SIGNIFICANTLY more quiet. I was very VERY impressed with the reduction in road noise between the two models (of course some of that was driving a month-old new car, and 3-year-old with almost 40k miles on it, too.) The sound insulation makes it feel/sound much less like "cheap small japanese car." That combined with a "Tighter" driving feel, if Avocados are "the poor man's butter" then this car is the "Poor man's BMW 100-series"

Front Bumper Clearance: The front bumper clearance is higher (didn't measure so I can't say for sure how much) but we have little (4-6" tall I guess) parking lot "stops" in our parking spaces at home and the 03 will scrape if loaded down heavily. The 06 is well-high of that (there's no additional front spoiler on the 06 model as the previous body style had.)

The headlights are clear white, not blue at all. Brights are VERY wide and bright (but I've found this to be true in any Honda I've driven. VERY good headlights, compared to my ex-BMW.)

The overall impression of the 06 was that, even though it was a good decision to get the Accord (so we'd be able to get ALL the luggage to the airpot with it actually INSIDE the car, and especially for that price!) when the 03 is ready to trade, we wouldn't look beyond the Civic for a replacement. It's a VERY nice car.

Definitely a "generational" change between models, though. Evolution, not Revolution.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
I'm expecting to get my 06 non-NAV Jan 2 in California for $1000 under MSRP though it involves a long drive to a more rural part of the state.
I'm so excited and have questions.
Sorry I can't answer your questions because I'm also expecting my HCH in January. So i'll ask a question instead.

Where are you getting your HCH? I don't mind driving a long distance to save $1000.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:47 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM

I'll give you a hint.
A very remote part of the state.

I'll tell more after I drive mine home on Jan 2 or 3.

I was considering Ok but needed the car sooner.
The people in OK were very nice and helpful.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi ElanC:

___I do not know if this will help you or not but Psyshack posted that his local Honda dealer in OK. was selling HCH-II’s (non-NAVI’s) for $1,300 under MSRP ~ two weeks ago?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
Thanks. Oklahoma is too far. I'm too old to spend three days straight driving a car home. And there's the unknown (to me) hassle of importing a new car into CA.

Originally Posted by kenny
I'll give you a hint.
A very remote part of the state.
Crescent City?

Don't worry, I'm not going to steal your car, promise. If you're so inclined, you can tell me by private email.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

I drove my 03 HCH for 65,000 miles and I now have an 06 HCH (picked it up 2 days ago)...

* The engine is VERY quiet on this car. I can not even hear it when I am going 65-75 on the highway. The only time I can hear the engine is when I accelerate hard.

* You CAN autostop again after a creep, which is a great improvement over the 03.

* The stereo isn't that great soundwise, I would say it's equivalent to the 03.

* For me, the most noticable difference between the two cars is the ability to go into 'glide' mode at will. You can easily 'shut off' your gas engine at any speed and control whether you regen or assist. The assist doesn't propel the car though, it just keeps it from slowing down as fast. You can really only do this on flat or downhil terrain, but it is still a lot of fun!

* The handling on the car is great. I love the little steering wheel, it feels very sporty.

* The whole regen/assist thing is more transparent on this car than the previous one. On the 03 it was very noticable when the assist/regen was occuring. On the 06 I don't think I would be able to tell without looking at the dash. VERY smooth.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

I own the 03 CIVIC Hybrid and love it. I was very disappointed when I drove the 06 model, the back seat still won't fold down, the MPG was about the same as my 03, it still can't drive in all electric mode and teh local dealer wanted top dollars and offer me lowest for my trade.
I'm convined to get a Prius. They have more room with the fold down rear seat and can go in all electric mode. You can also get the aftermartket PLUGIN hybrid option and get way over 100 mpg.
Jim

Old 12-25-2005, 07:28 AM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Originally Posted by jstack6
You can also get the aftermartket PLUGIN hybrid option and get way over 100 mpg.
Jim
But I heard that the option costs about $12K. Too much for me.

The Prius is a great car...One of my employees has one and I am quite impressed. If you need utility, it is definitely a getter option. However, for me, I prefer the Civic's styling, plus the fact that I prefer Hondas in general. Overall, though, you can go wrong with any Honda or Toyota.

By the way, Merry Christmas everybody. And EIGHT more days and counting for me...

Old 12-25-2005, 08:08 AM

... and can go in all electric mode ...
I am curious as to why this matters to people. I care about fuel consumption and reduced emissions which according to the GH database, the Civic performs at least as well as the Prius. I would be attracted to the Prius for the folding seat if it wasn't so much more expensive and have the extensive dealer mark up here in Phoenix.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

the back seat still won't fold down, the MPG was about the same as my 03, ... You can also get the aftermartket PLUGIN hybrid option and get way over 100 mpg.
Jim

1. The Hybrid Battery has to go SOMEwhere and since "under the trunk" would then force you to make a gas tank vs. hybrid battery choice.... (The Prius is designed as a 75 Chevy Monza .... er.... Vega Kammback... er... a hatchback, so the battery is out of the way by design. The Civic adds hybrid to a pre-existing body style. (Tho I was a big fan of the late 70s/early 80s Civic wagons before they got all square and Scion xB looking.))

2. a 14% increase in FE is not statistically "about the same" that would be 1 or 2%

3. Is an aftermarket mod to the hybrid system/engine cool with your New Car Warranty on either model? (I just moved OUT of a BMW that has a sticker on the inside of the windshield that says that using a cell phone inside the car could posibly void the warranty if it messes up the electronics. (I think this is as plausible as a cell phone taking down a 747 but what do I know from BMW electronics???))

Quick Reply: Questions about 2006

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands