View Poll Results: Do you like the HCH II Speedometer?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Speedometer

I just wanted to comment on the speedometer that Honda choose to use on the HCH II Series.

It is brilliant since you really don't know how fast this car could go.

This is not meant as a joke or a poke fun at comment. Genuinely, if more cars came equiped this way, less people will be tempted to see if a "car" could go as fast as it is stated on the speedo.

What do you think?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speedometer

I have never been tempted to see how fast my HCH will go. I don't really concider it as a car of speed. I have a Miata that I drive when I feel the need for speed,<grin> H

Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 AM

Pros:
  • Removes the psychology of the analog dial (eg. I'm not manly because 60 is so low on the scale)
  • You know what your speed is instead of intuiting it. Perhaps this helps your brain to stay awake
  • Passing cars can clearly see your speed
  • This is the very best solution for switching between Imperial and Metric (cross-border drivers)

Cons:
  • Feeling disconnected from the analog of rate of change. Why do people prefer analog wristwatches over digital ones?
  • Passing cars can clearly see your speed

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM

I didn't think I would like it, and BOY was I wrong! I can tell at a glance if I'm going "fast enough" for the street I'm on without having to take my eyes off the road. In fact, I like having the speedo there so much, I made MPH one of my Scan Gauges on the MMH since I miss having it so much!

I have to say though that I like the cool blue on the normal Civics a lot more than the red for the Si models--I'm glad ours is blue.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

"I have to say though that I like the cool blue on the normal Civics a lot more than the red for the Si models--I'm glad ours is blue."

The next-gen Civic Hybrid will come in bright green! Just kidding.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Can other driver really see your speed?

I mean the speedo is set into the dash cover, and the passing car would also have to be of a certain height and looking at just the right moment.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sungod18
Can other driver really see your speed?

I mean the speedo is set into the dash cover, and the passing car would also have to be of a certain height and looking at just the right moment.
Yes, others can see your current speed. I have several people at work that drive Honda Civics (06-Current) and I am able to glance over and see how fast they are going

Something I noticed before I purchased the my Civic.

I believe the digital speedometer is a much better speed deterant than an analog speedometer. Another thing car manufactures can reintroduce to the public are cars that have top speeds of 85mph (hidden behind a digital speedometer).

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM

So far everyone likes it! I thought I posted here the other day, but I guess it didn't go through. I agree that the blue is better. It is a more relaxing color, while the red would make me want to go faster and waste gas (I guess that's good if you have an Si).

Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 AM

I wonder what the red color would look like at night. It seems it would be too bright at night.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 AM

Have you seen it in the brochure? The Si's displays look more like red numbers on black background. That's very different in mood from the two-tone look of the regular Civic displays.

Quick Reply: Speedometer

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands