“Tbaleno takes the Gloves Off” w/ his CVT based HCH - P&G ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: “Tbaleno takes the Gloves Off” w/ his CVT based HCH - P&G ;-)

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Wayne,
On the issue of the forced charge at low charge levels, I cannot ever recall seeing that. Maybe I *DO* need to hit the accel a little harder - will try that today and post back.

And I did indeed have the famous ECU update, in July. Hard to know if it has affected my FE because of the hot humid (for us anyway) temps of this summer have forced me to use more A/C than last summer to avoid being a dripping wet pig at the end of my drive. So that probably has had more effect than the ECU update, but I cannot be sure about that until I get a few more months in and can compare last year to this year.

Thanks Wayne....

Larry S.S.
I know on mine when it gets to about two bars below half charge it starts a forced charge.Kevin

Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Wayne-

What're your thoughts on a variant of this in the HAH? As has been discussed over there, we have the tranny interlock problem after a FAS at any reasonable speed.

Buuut...if one drives at lower speeds to begin with, never puts it into 4th/5th/OD, and keeps the accel gentle enough to stay on 3 cylinders? The HAH can hang at 3 bars SoC for a long time- minimal, if any, assist, and it won't start forcibly recharging until well into 2 bars.

Only issue I see is the 3rd gear limitation- max speed will be low-30s. Or maybe hold it in D3 a little higher, at some sacrifice.

I really need to find some flat, lonely roads to play on and try.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:34 PM

--

Old 09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

alright, i just got back from work, i zero'd the trip meter before leaving my work parking lot, the total distance from where i work to my house is 5 miles. this is the first time i've attempted P&G. my previous best MPGs from work were high 30's to low 40's. i have to say i'm quite impressed, i got 62.8 MPG! it doesn't sound like much to a lot of you, but it is incredible for me.

i was a little more conservative with the RPMs than you guys were, i never let it go over 2000. also, i tried to stick with your guys' speed range, using ~43 for my high and ~23 as my low. i think having such a low end is what helped me so much, as i was able to coast for extremely long times before hitting my low end. thanks a lot you guys, and i'm sure that my MPG will only get better as i wasn't able to apply P&G for the entire trip due to some traffic, but i'm very happy and excited with these results and what's to come

edit - i also wanted to include, i had no issues with battery charge as my trip seems to be too short and i had a full battery starting off.

oh, i also forgot to add, i never used a FAS, all of my coasting was neutral coasting. once i incorporate the FAS it'll be interesting to see what kind of mileage i get

Last edited by inFiniTE LooP; 09-07-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 PM

thanks, Wayne. ****- you confirmed about what I feared- a hard acceleration that would certainly kill mpg, and I completely agree that our xmissions would not enjoy being bandied about as often as required for P&G, even if there wasn't so much to think about during execution.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM

--

Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Go Tom!

Old 11-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know about the HCH but you can do a real Forced Autostop on the Insight without having to turn the ignition off, just wire a 4 pole relay to each of the fuel injectors, you have a momentary switch and whenever you want to do a FAS just press the button and the engine should turn off, it works on the Insight, the nice thing about this is that you still retain all the safety features of the vehicle.

If you just press the gas pedal the engine will start instantly, if you loose vacuum on the power brake booster it will also start, like I said before, it works on the Insight, and I'd assume it would also work on the HCH.

I would cost you about $20 in parts, but you would not have to bother with turning the ignition key on an off.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

could you possibly point to some more detailed info on how this is done? i'd be interested in wiring up a switch for this in my car, thanks~!

Quick Reply: “Tbaleno takes the Gloves Off” w/ his CVT based HCH - P&G ;-)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands