Thin paint issue on the HCH??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thin paint issue on the HCH??

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
I found this...http://store.bettercarcare.com/meg-g-10307.html After some investigating, I think I took the clear coat off. That's why the paint still looks good, but the apperance of scuff marks at certain angles. Do you think this stuff works?
Hey, for $6.95 it's worth a shot !!!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
You guys can call me an idiot or whatever
You already did. ;-)

I find with my cars, it's usually NOT necessary to scrub your car. Even the toughest dirt will eventually "wear off" just from exposure to the weather. Just let it go.

I often receive comments on my old ~120,000 mile car... "no scratches, wow, looks new!" That's because I never wiped it. Ever. Rubbing a rag across a car will scratch the clear-coat, so I avoid it.

troy

Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElectricTroy
I find with my cars, it's usually NOT necessary to scrub your car. Even the toughest dirt will eventually "wear off" just from exposure to the weather. Just let it go. I often receive comments on my old ~120,000 mile car... "no scratches, wow, looks new!" That's because I never wiped it. Ever. Rubbing a rag across a car will scratch the clear-coat, so I avoid it.troy
Troy, that without a doubt is the most interesting method of keeping a car clean I have ever heard of - "don't clean it." That's GENIUS !!!

Anyway, for those of you who DO clean a car of it's little tar and messies every now and then, take a look at the Zaino system. It's really brilliant. You can take the dirtiest, most messed up, scratched up, oxidized, awful paint job and restore it beautifully. I have used Zaino for about three years now, and it's worked great for all the cars I have used it on. Works better on dark painted cars, but makes any car clean and the paint incredibly smooth and soft to the touch.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

Zaino makes good stuff, Zaino users tend to get a little, er, obsessive.

Griot's Garage ,linky here, also has some pretty cool stuff. For the scuffing you've done with your scrubber pad, your best bet at recovery is to use a machine polisher, or, if you don't trust your own ability, take it to an automotive detailer. Someone that really knows detailing can likely, if not completely eliminate your damage, come close to minimizing it.

Never use anything abrasive on paint! Only the softest 100% cotton cloths! Never a scratchy item like a kitchen scrubber!!