HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH-II: Intermittent Auto Stop Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH-II: Intermittent Auto Stop Issue

I have a 2006 HCH-II and Overall have been very pleased with the car (~53 mpg over 36K).
But, I have had two problems and am hoping for some insights from other HCH-II owners.

The most annoying problem is that, on occasion, the auto-stop feature does not work. The scenario is that I'll come to a traffic light and break to a stop. The engine will start winding down as if it is going to turn off, but then it pops back on to idle.

It doesn't seem to be a temperature problem as the engine is typically well warmed up (even happens during the summer; tonight it happened on the tail end of a 40 mile trip).

The other problem is "very" minor - the instantaneous mpg will go to zero when I know I'm coasting.

Has anyone had experience with either of the above two problems?
If so, any suggestions on the root cause of the problems and how to fix them?

thanks!
Lee

Old 12-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH-II: Intermittent Auto Stop Issue

Clarification to my post:
In reading through some similar threads, I realized I should note that the A/C & Defrost are off.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthused Enthusiast

my iFCD will do that too very occasionally... not sure why. If i take it out of glide for a second it fixes itm but still annoying.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Lee, both are known things. There are a bunch of different variables that the car takes into account for AS, and if any of them aren't right, AS won't trigger. Might be the battery pack temperature, the heat sinks on the power module, the phase of the moon, it's as much voodoo as it is science. As to the iMPG meter, that's also well known around here as the samba.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Enthusiast

Mmrmhnrm - thank you for the response.
It sounds like these are are accepted issues with the HCH-IIs and nothing can be done to rectify them.

Ah well.

Regards,
Lee

Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

The iMPG is definitely a "nothing to be done" sort of thing. The AS is a question of how often, and what sorts of circumstances. If you're near someone who's been driving a while, we might be able to help you tell whether your AS is normal (cold starts, too-fast stops, etc) or needs attention.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Enthusiast

The unexplained inability to AS is fairly infrequent - maybe 1-2 a week (I'm not counting the expected cases like engine not fully warmed up, defroster/A-C on, etc.) and I don't seem to be able to figure out rhyme or reason for when it occurs (seems pretty random). At times, I get a feeling that it might occur more often when I brake harder (ie use more pad), but also see it when I do a gradual coast to a stop light, using almost entirely regen braking.
BTW: I'm in central NJ.

Thanks again,
Lee