TSB for transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy TSB for transmission

Just wondering if anyone else out there is having issues with their CVT. I own a 2003 HCH with CVT. I have in the past (losing power for 1/2 second, then fine, and "grinding" at start, leadfoot). I got a notice from American Honda last month stating there are two Technical Service Bulletins on the CVT (02-05 I think). It talks about the start clutch having burrs on it, and also the CVT belt slipping. Took it in for an inspection ($110), and diagnosed for a new start clutch: $1400. ($1100 is labor!!) Now, the bulletin said they would extend the warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles (WCF), but I commute from Stockton to Sacramento daily, and on my 2003 I have over 135000 miles. I talked to the dealer, and American Honda, and finally got a call stating they would provide the parts free, and only charge $700 for labor. Doesn't anyone else think that Honda should take better care of their customers in this circumstance? I barely have enough for mortgage and daycare as it is. Luckily, my car is still driveable.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TSB for transmission

I would try the 3 times flush and fill with new oil. Try a search on HCH1 portion of this site. The HCH1 guys and girls will be able to help you more, H

Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your symptoms sound like what my 2003 HCH wa doing about 6 months ago. When I would accelerate it would bog, then shudder and go. It sounded terrible. Only did it from a dead stop. I took it to the dealer and they changed the fluid and did a 'brunish procedure' on the belt and that fixed it. Cost $200. Last month Honda America contacted me and said many people are having that problem, so they are refunding my money. Got the check a couple of days later.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Think green.

I received a mailing from Honda this summer, maybe in July or August, I think.
It was called Warranty Extension: Transmission Judder or Slippage, and was addressed to "Civic GX, Civic HX, Civic Hybrid, or Insight Owner". It describes the problems (they sound similar to what Neil describes with his car), and says the CVT is now covered for judder or slippage for 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The cars involved may be the 2001-2005 Civic GX, Civic HX, or Insight; or the 2003-2005 Civid Hybrid with CVT.
One part of it was an update to the owner's manual that says when you need to add or replace fluid to your CVT, to use the "newly developed Honda Genuine CVT Fluid" instead of ATF-Z1, which was originally used in the vehicles.
The other part of the mailing involved instructions for reimbursement for Transmission Judder or Slippage. It says if an owner has previously paid to have their vehicle's CVT repaired or replaced due to judder or slippage, they may be eligible for reimbursement.
The conditions are:
"You must have had your vehicle repaired before receiving this notice."
"You must have owned the vehicle at the time of repair. You are still eligible of you no longer own the vehicle."

After reading both of your posts, it makes me wonder if Honda is treating the Start Clutch problem differently than the Judder/slippage problem. Either that, or it has to do with the car having over 135,000 miles on it, and it falls outside that warranty extension period of 7 years/100,000 miles.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

We received this notice. I took my Civic in to the dealership last week for regular maintenance, gave them the notice, and asked them to check this out for us. My husband and I have both noticed an intermittent problem that seems to fit this description. The guy at the dealership told me that they would test drive it after servicing it to see if they could duplicate the problem, and that they would address the issue only if they could duplicate the problem. Later they said they hadn't been able to duplicate the problem, and to bring it back in if it acts up again. Does this seem right? Shouldn't they fix it anyway?

BTW, when I got home, I checked the mileage and determined that they had never actually performed a test drive. The odometer reading was 22 miles more than when I dropped it off, and I live 22 miles from the dealership. I guess I don't sound like I know much about cars, but did they really think I don't know how to check the odometer?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa5964blue
....Later they said they hadn't been able to duplicate the problem, and to bring it back in if it acts up again. Does this seem right? Shouldn't they fix it anyway?

BTW, when I got home, I checked the mileage and determined that they had never actually performed a test drive. .....
I would report them to the BBB and confront the Service Manager with your records. This is fraudulent business practice and is punishable by at least civil penalties.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

I just took my 2005 civic into the dealer today for the same problem, mine got really bad starting up on a hill or with a passenger... they took my extended warranty and is giving me a brand new starter clutch and a transmission flush..for free..my apointment is this Wednesday

Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by lisa5964blue
<snip>
BTW, when I got home, I checked the mileage and determined that they had never actually performed a test drive. The odometer reading was 22 miles more than when I dropped it off, and I live 22 miles from the dealership. I guess I don't sound like I know much about cars, but did they really think I don't know how to check the odometer?
Very smart! It's a bit of an eye opener how much "smoke" some service departments blow.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM

Well, I' haven't been around here much lately, but last night I came accross this thread and today I went to the dealer to confirm the tsb and warranty extension. I have an appointment a week from tommorow to drop of my car and get a rental. I'm hoping they don't try to mess with me and that It doesn't end up costing me any money.

Crossing my fingers.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 PM

Keep us posted, Tom. Hal

Quick Reply: TSB for transmission

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands