Warming up the engine in the morning - will this help or hurt mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warming up the engine in the morning - will this help or hurt mpg?

I've never seen a car that was not louder running cold- there's a lot of cold metal clanging around that isn't fitting together as well as when its warmed up.

(Although the true nerd in me cries out "reduced phonon scattering within the metal crystalline lattice at lower temperatures resulting in increased acoustic propagation" )

Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by philmcneal
luckily for prius owners(prius II), the car stores warm car liquid and then realease them during cold starts to worm up the engine faster. Improving cold starts is one of the prius II advantage over the first one.

here are some stats to back it up. http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Toyot...erformance.htm
Could you explain what is "warm car liquid", where it is stored, and how it's released?

Old 12-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lansing
Question. On cold startup, the engine sounds a lot louder than it otherwise does. Do other people experience this, or is it me and/or a prob?

Thanks!
when i first start my car in the morning, the engine revs up to around 2000 RPM immediately; however, if the car is warmed up, it doesn't do this initial rev on startup

Old 05-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hi

I have recently purchased a 2006HCH and to help with warmups I had a block heater installed total cost about $150 . I put this on a timer so that it comes on a hour before I start in the morning . With the temp in the hi40s after 2 blocks im up to 3 bars on the temp gauge and my mpg for my commute of 20miles has improved by 2mpg. The auto stop feature is alsao activating sooner. The heater draws 420 watts fo a hour at .10c a kw comes out to .042cents a day. You also have to plug and unplug it every day. Just thought I would mention this the sooner it warms up the better.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Wink Re: Warming up the engine in the morning - will this help or hurt mpg?

Just curious - are you in a northern state or Canada? I live near Buffalo, NY and have pondered a block heater. I've gone from about 40 to almost 47 MPG in the last 3 months with warmer weather.
Thanks,

Old 05-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Don,

I'm on Long Island, but having been to Buffalo and Rochester a number of times (in the winter), where the winds can really bring a car's temperature down (it's not just the lake effect snow), I'd strongly recommend a block heater. Plus you probably get some pretty cheap electric up there in Niagra-Mohawk country.

The real issue is the catalytic converter needs a few miles to warm up. If you can keep the car garaged, and the block warm, you'll have it made.

Best,

Michael

Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM

Yeppers. Every car I get from now on will have a block heater. I've got one for my HAH, but have to get around to putting it in.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster
Hey Don,

...I'd strongly recommend a block heater. Plus you probably get some pretty cheap electric up there in Niagra-Mohawk country...
Right on. I swear by mine. One difference is that the car will idle at 1500 rpms cold. With the block heater it will rev at 1000 rpm, even after only about an hour of heating. With 2-3 hours of heating in 45-50 degree weather I've gotten as many as 4 bars on the temp gauge straight out of the garage. When I do this, I can go 7 tenths of a mile and be reading 60 mpg on the trip meter. When the engine is cold, I might be seeing 40 mpg at that stage, and the FCD will barely be able to maintain above 50 mgp. With the heater I get full range of the FCD right away. It improves my mileage also, but it's difficult to tell how much with all of the variables involved. This winter I plan to run some tests with and without the heater over time and see if I can quantify the increased mpg.

But the best part is instant heat in the winter time. Especially for my 10 mile city commute!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

Mickster & toast64,

Thanks for the response & encouragement. I hope to have a garage by the fall. I would like to get the block heater. It will be interesting to compare the trips on my "test course", and the tanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

OK on the block heaters - you've convinced this Wisconsinite.... Now for the $64,000 question - self install or the dealership? Fairly handy with a torque wrench but the wiring instructions I've seen look a tad complex as far as routing from the plug to the block. And how about that encouraging DIY "Customer Information" from Honda on the first page. Dealer costs and experiences anyone? A newbie thanks you in advance.