what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
does this only happen while auto-stopped or does it happen regardless of being auto-stopped or not?

It actually happens when the vehicle is moving....I noticed it once at high way speed, but most often, I notice it in stop and go traffic.

The reason being that in stop and go traffic the cat converters cool down and don't do their job as efficiently, (specilly in older cars) and one can actually smell some raw fumes from the tailpipes.
That smells tells me that I'm venting outside air.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wangofree
Took our car in after 3,000 miles to get the rear quarter panel fixed. Sticking out about 1/4". Dealer said some clips were messed up. Not sure how that would happen since car hasn't been in an accident.
I just bought my used 2004 HCH and it has the same issue. I pointed it out to the dealer I bought it from and they are fixing it (no charge) today. There is a spot at the front right that sticks out as well. They said it was probably the clips.

One other thing I would like to see that has not been mentioned - how about a thermometer? I like to know the outside temperature. Our 2001 Odyssey EX doesn't have it either. Come on Honda - such a simple little thing!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

good point, when i bought the car, i had already just assumed that it had one, then realized on the drive home from the dealership "there's no thermometer!?" what a bummer

Old 08-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have only had it for 24 hours and there are a few annoyances so far (don't get me wrong, I love the car so far, but since you asked about shortcomings, I can come up with a few):

1. [edit: Other than using the remote, which I don't have] the driver door will not lock by any other means than putting the key in it. This is the stupidest crap I've experienced in a long time. At some point car makers are going to have to let us take responsibility for some things. In order to reduce the likelihood of the outrageously rare occurrence of locking ones keys in the car, we must suffer this inconvenience each and every time we lock the car. What a waste.

2. Nowhere does any of the documentation explain how the mpg display calculates the mileage. Is this a computer simulation based on certain assumptions, or is it real data based on actual fuel flow? Is this a real number or a calculation from some simulation algorhythm?

3. Despite having plenty of room, the lifetime mileage odometer does not display tenths of a mile. Really dumb. While we're on the odometer topic, I understand why mechanical odometers required the reset button be nearby the number wheels, but now that it's all electronic, is there any reason to still have the button way up there in the speedometer cavity? Why not put a button on the dash?

4. Keys must be inserted to view the mileage. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say, push the selector button to wake it up for 10 seconds even if the car is turned off? It would be a great feature at a gas station when I'm writing the fueling data in my log book. (incidentally this is the only time I've ever locked keys in a car - when I had to put them in the ignition to check the mileage and forgot them there when I went in to pay for the gas).

5. Windows won't roll up unless keys are in the ignition. In this day and age there's no excuse for not having a certain amount of time to roll up the windows after the car has been turned off. Why is this feature still not standard in every car with power windows?

6. There seems to be a lot of wasted space where there could be useful storage space. The cupholders are nicely trimmed but all that flat plastic covering empty space could be used for cell phones, money, etc.

7. The seats seem exceptionally narrow, even compared to a regular civic. I commute 85 mi each way with a co-worker and we trade driving - he has a regular 2002 civic and his seats are not as narrow and I think they have better back support. So, I am a little disapointed with the seat comfort.

8. Nowadays there's no excuse for any stereo to not have MP3 capability and a usb port on the front.

9. Big clunky rubberized key. Why is every car maker so presumptious to assume that their key is the only thing you ever have to carry? My key ring is full of KEYS. I don't need rubber door stops with chips inside taking up all the space on my key ring. But hey, at least it's not a volkswagon.

That's all I can think of so far. Some of these I guess are regular frustrations you'd have with any car, but from Honda I expect quality engineering and smart thinking. My pet peeve is when they try to overthink things and try to do my thinking for me (like with the driver door lock). Oh well, that's just what we have to put up with to participate in modern technology...

-A-

Last edited by lakedude; 08-11-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
I have only had it for 24 hours and there are a few annoyances so far (don't get me wrong, I love the car so far, but since you asked about shortcomings, I can come up with a few):

1. The driver door will not lock by any other means than putting the key in it. This is the stupidest crap I've experienced in a long time. At some point car makers are going to have to let us take responsibility for some things. In order to reduce the likelihood of the outrageously rare occurrence of locking ones keys in the car, we must suffer this inconvenience each and every time we lock the car. What a waste.
Weird - *** FOB to lock doors? Even lifting up handle, then pushing lock down doesn't lock the door?
2. Nowhere does any of the documentation explain how the mpg display calculates the mileage. Is this a computer simulation based on certain assumptions, or is it real data based on actual fuel flow? Is this a real number or a calculation from some simulation algorhythm?

3. Despite having plenty of room, the lifetime mileage odometer does not display tenths of a mile. Really dumb. While we're on the odometer topic, I understand why mechanical odometers required the reset button be nearby the number wheels, but now that it's all electronic, is there any reason to still have the button way up there in the speedometer cavity? Why not put a button on the dash?
The lifetime on our HCH displays 10nths.
4. Keys must be inserted to view the mileage. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say, push the selector button to wake it up for 10 seconds even if the car is turned off? It would be a great feature at a gas station when I'm writing the fueling data in my log book. (incidentally this is the only time I've ever locked keys in a car - when I had to put them in the ignition to check the mileage and forgot them there when I went in to pay for the gas).
Good point.
5. Windows won't roll up unless keys are in the ignition. In this day and age there's no excuse for not having a certain amount of time to roll up the windows after the car has been turned off. Why is this feature still not standard in every car with power windows?
I think as long as you don't open any doors you can roll down the windows, or is that just on my CRV, I can't remember, but I'm with you, it should be standard.
6. There seems to be a lot of wasted space where there could be useful storage space. The cupholders are nicely trimmed but all that flat plastic covering empty space could be used for cell phones, money, etc.
Agreed, plus cupholders in the BACK!
7. The seats seem exceptionally narrow, even compared to a regular civic. I commute 85 mi each way with a co-worker and we trade driving - he has a regular 2002 civic and his seats are not as narrow and I think they have better back support. So, I am a little disapointed with the seat comfort.
Ditto, not the most comfortable seating.
8. Nowadays there's no excuse for any stereo to not have MP3 capability and a usb port on the front.
Yep, that's for sure!
9. Big clunky rubberized key. Why is every car maker so presumptious to assume that their key is the only thing you ever have to carry? My key ring is full of KEYS. I don't need rubber door stops with chips inside taking up all the space on my key ring. But hey, at least it's not a volkswagon.
Keys are "electronic" for security sake, so they have to be big I guess.
That's all I can think of so far. Some of these I guess are regular frustrations you'd have with any car, but from Honda I expect quality engineering and smart thinking. My pet peeve is when they try to overthink things and try to do my thinking for me (like with the driver door lock). Oh well, that's just what we have to put up with to participate in modern technology...
Hope Honda listens to these suggestions. Happy driving! Oil hit $65/bbl !
-A-

Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

The lifetime on our HCH displays 10nths.
No it does not. We have no lifetime unless we use one of the trip meters. The trip meters skip 3 and 4 tenths at a time.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM

No, you can't just hold up the handle because the lock button won't go down at all if the door is open. Yes there should be a keyless FOB, but two problems: 1. bought it used and it didn't come with one. 2. like my frustration with the bulky key, I don't want to carry that clunky thing around with me. Three cars, three different remotes, pretty soon I'll ned a separate suitcase to carry all my car access devices with me. Oh wait, I already have to do that to carry all the separate power cords usb cords and memory chips for my phone, PDA, and digicam. I can just put it in there! :-)

Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

1. The driver door will not lock by any other means than putting the key in it. This is the stupidest crap I've experienced in a long time. At some point car makers are going to have to let us take responsibility for some things. In order to reduce the likelihood of the outrageously rare occurrence of locking ones keys in the car, we must suffer this inconvenience each and every time we lock the car. What a waste.
I am confused. Do you not have keyless remote entry? I certainly don't need to insert the key to lock or unlock the car. Also, while I have not tried this in my Civic, I used to be able to pull the door handle (on the inside) and, while holding it, push down on the locking mechanism to lock the door. Give that a try.

Did I misunderstand your post?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by grayhawk
I am confused. Do you not have keyless remote entry? I certainly don't need to insert the key to lock or unlock the car. Also, while I have not tried this in my Civic, I used to be able to pull the door handle (on the inside) and, while holding it, push down on the locking mechanism to lock the door. Give that a try.

Did I misunderstand your post?

I don't have a remote yet because I bought it used and it didn't come with one, plus I have a problem shelling out $70 for one, especially since I don't want to have to carry it around. I have a facility-oriented job and I carry a lot of keys so bulky stuff like that is not easy for me to carry around. Plus, that's no excuse, the car should be easy to use with or without the remote.

[Note here that my other cars with remotes do allow me to lock the drivers door in other ways without the key, so while the remote would provide an alternate method with the HCH, I still see it as a shortcoming that without the remote I must use the key. ]

I have not tried pushing down on the button while holding up the handle. On my older cars I could push down the lock button then lift the handle to close the door and keep it locked. That's what I tried so far and that doesn't work because the button wouldn't go down at all if the door was open. I will try your method tonight. Thanks.

-A-

Last edited by zimbop; 08-11-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

No, you can't just hold up the handle because the lock button won't go down at all if the door is open.
Honda must have corrected this in 05. I just came in from trying it on the driver and passenger door. Door locks, with door open, by pulling up on handle and depressing the lock, then shutting the door.

Too bad yours doesn't lock that way, I see where it would be a hassle. Can you get a FOB off eBay that's cheaper?

Quick Reply: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands