where do you put your snowboards on the 06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Roof Racks

This thread has made me realize I cannot find a roof rack that is suitable for the 2006 Civic.

Interesting.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof Racks

Originally Posted by tko4you
This thread has made me realize I cannot find a roof rack that is suitable for the 2006 Civic.
Why?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: where do you put your snowboards on the 06?

Darwin,

You sir, are asking the EXACT same question I asked myself MANY MANY times, over and over again. It was between the Prius and Civic, and since the seats didn't fold down, I was wondering that too. Those suction cups sound like a good idea, because honestly, I don't want a roof rack or holes in the body of the car, visible or not. Rust tends to build around them since I live near the beach (I work pretty much RIGHT on the sand), and thats something I don't want to deal with. You could either put them in the passenger seat if you lay it down, or if someone is with you, possibly in the back seat at an angle, with some towels or something at the ends so that it doesn't scratch any of the interior. If that doesn't work because you've got people in the back, then I would probably recommend that suction cup deal. In fact, I'm going to go to Walmart before I make my trip and maybe buy some in case my brother and sister want to venture out to the snow with me. If they are as strong as rigger says they are, then I'm sold. I don't want those things losing suction, dropping my board, and worst of all, scratching up my brand new car....

Old 01-18-2006, 07:18 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Here's the item I was talking about at Wal-Mart. From what I can tell it works excellent though I have not gotten any road testing on it I'm sure it would more than work for a snowboard. These suction cups really do suck....or I mean they hold very well. I'm not sure why they were on clearence but they are $20 - comes with a whole kit of four and all attachment straps as well. The box is reusable as a carry case.

Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the making of this photograph - this dog will do any pose for Scooby-Snacks. I would not advise putting pets up there but you can see how big the cups are for a snowboard HEAVYDUTY

Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Roof Racks

Originally Posted by ElanC
Why?
Check Thule's or Yakima's websites. No one makes a kit for any 2k6 Civic yet.

Mexiken, check www.etrailer.com for trailer hitches for the 2k6 Civic. All listed hitches are no-drill installs, meaning all the holes needed to attach the tow bar are already on the car. There should be no rusting problems. I already emailed them and all hitches fit the HCH even if it doesn't say so on the webpage.

Last edited by Sledge; 01-18-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by rigger
Here's the item I was talking about at Wal-Mart.
I wouldn't trust suction cups for a roof rack. The forces on a set of snowboards when travelling 80MPH with a 30MPH head or side wind can be considerable. The potential liability from having stuff flying off your roof and killing somebody is just too great to trust to a suction cup. Second, I can't imagine that such a suction force applied to your paint job wouldn't damage it. You're basically expecting the car's paint to hold the rack in place.

There are plenty of conventional racks that fasten to the door frames that are much more secure and just as easy to mount and remove.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are plenty of conventional racks that fasten to the door frames that are much more secure and just as easy to mount and remove.
Do you have an idea of where one can find these conventional racks that fasten to the door frames?

I am not excited about the rear hitch luggage option and will either wait for an "approved" 2006 roof rack or I would be interested in a rack that fastens as you mentioned.

I agree with the thoughts about suction cups.... if they were to ever lose their suction it would be quite interesting and potentially very dangerous.

Cheers!

Old 01-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by tko4you
Do you have an idea of where one can find these conventional racks that fasten to the door frames?
I don't have an idea without doing a search. The main manufacturers are Thule, Yakima, Barrecrafters. My old rack was a Barrecrafters. Chances are an internet search will find what you need and where to buy it in half an hour.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:46 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Yeah, if you're planning on going 80mph everywhere you go you may want to get something with gigantic bolts drilled through your roof.

I wouldn't trust suction cups for a roof rack. The forces on a set of snowboards when travelling 80MPH with a 30MPH head or side wind can be considerable. The potential liability from having stuff flying off your roof and killing somebody is just too great to trust to a suction cup. Second, I can't imagine that such a suction force applied to your paint job wouldn't damage it. You're basically expecting the car's paint to hold the rack in place.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rigger
Yeah, if you're planning on going 80mph everywhere you go you may want to get something with gigantic bolts drilled through your roof.
The point is, if you're going let's say 60 on a two lane road and a truck comes toward you at 60, you'll easily experience a wind gust of 80 MPH or more. Wanna chance it?

I'd say any roof rack that can't take, let's say, a 120 MPH gust isn't safe.

Quick Reply: where do you put your snowboards on the 06?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands