where do you put your snowboards on the 06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:04 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: where do you put your snowboards on the 06?

Actually with these suction cups I would chance it. I've spent a little time in the paint & body business so I have had lots of time stripping paint off of cars so I think it would hold. That's just me though, you're in a free country - that's what makes it great - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I did however try to find negative first hand experiences about that Vacu-Rak and could not find any. I was leery at first too about them so I can see exactly where you're coming from. Suction cups just don't seem safe at all in theory. After installing them, they hold VERY VERY VERY well and I would easily trust them with a surfboard (I live on the beach, no snow here). Still, I can't help wonder why they are on clearence.

Originally Posted by ElanC
The point is, if you're going let's say 60 on a two lane road and a truck comes toward you at 60, you'll easily experience a wind gust of 80 MPH or more. Wanna chance it?

I'd say any roof rack that can't take, let's say, a 120 MPH gust isn't safe.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well rigger I have reconsidered my opinion on the suction cups and for that price its worse a test run. I too found no bad reviews and actually saw a list of satisfied customers when I searched ebay for the item.

I have purchased it through ebay for $85.00 Canadian or $70.00 U.S. (Includes $25.00 US Shipping to Canada)

Wal-Mart in Canada does not stock that product.

I will not be using it most likely until summer for our trips to the Lake so I will most likely not have any "reviews" on the product until then but I wanted to thank you for the idea and product information!

Cheers!

Last edited by tko4you; 01-20-2006 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Glad you like them. At least give us your opinion of them once you get them. I looked and looked trying to find any negative input from anyone about them but came up empty handed. I just can't figure out why Wal-Mart dropped the product. Of course it had to do with sales, so it may of been deeper than that (marketing etc.)

I'll be using mine to move some small items once I start moving into my new house in a few months. One thing I did notice with them is once you flip the lever to "release" they stay stuck. I was actually worried I would dent my car with them - that's how well they hold on there. In the end all I had to do is break the bead at the bottom edge of the cup in the release mode to get it to "let go". Again, I was originally skeptical about suction cups as they just seem chintsy - in the end they're a very good option for the price and ease of use.
I would of went to Wal-Mart and picked up some for you. Always glad to help a fellow hybrider.

Originally Posted by tko4you
Well rigger I have reconsidered my opinion on the suction cups and for that price its worse a test run. I too found no bad reviews and actually saw a list of satisfied customers when I searched ebay for the item.

I have purchased it through ebay for $85.00 Canadian or $70.00 U.S. (Includes $25.00 US Shipping to Canada)

Wal-Mart in Canada does not stock that product.

I will not be using it most likely until summer for our trips to the Lake so I will most likely not have any "reviews" on the product until then but I wanted to thank you for the idea and product information!

Cheers!

Old 02-04-2006, 03:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default VacuRak!

Originally Posted by rigger
Glad you like them. At least give us your opinion of them once you get them. I
I received the VacuRak on Wednesday and I must say I am truly impressed. I placed them on my kitchen table and I was amazed at how strong the hold is as I picked up my table with the suction cup.

I am quite confident that these will be very useful and save me considerable money having to install roof racks.

Thanks again Rigger and at this point I highly recommend them. As long as the surface is smooth I truly beleive these suction cups are not going anywhere.

Cheers!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:25 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Glad you really like them Jeff. Looks like WallyWorld (Wal-Mart) has moved them again and they are back over on the clearance rack. I didn't see if they did an additional markdown below their original markdown price of $20US - no price tag and I was in a hurry so I couldn't scan them. They really are worth the money IMO, work quite well.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Hey I know this thread is pretty old but It has a lot of great information so I figured I would recessitate.

I Have a 2004 Honda Insight and have been looking for a rack solution for quite some time. I see the reccomended Vacu-Rak throughout this thread and still see it available via e-bay. My question is has anyone tried it yet going from relative nice weather to cold (72 - 20 F)?

It seems they would have what it takes but the only reviews I can find is surfboards to beaches hardly a temperate change that may run risk of the seal breaking.

I am hoping someone has the answer before I run risk of losing my snowboard and the safety of the poor mate driving behind me.

FYI - You won't see me doing more than 55-70mph depending on slope ;-)

Thanks again and Cheers!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

The previous owner of my car used a Thule roof rack for skiis. Not sure if it was suction cup mounted or what, but it's possible.