"Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Banned
Default Might Get Better Waiting

It's a sellers market on hybrids.

I was not in a good situation when purchasing my Insight. My 1988 CRX HF had just been totaled. The options I entertained was a new or used Civic or an Insight. Broke down and got the Insight.

What I'd do is just be patient and look. The chances of a good deal are limited, but you never know. I'd consider an after-market radio.

Be careful going out of the area for a car. The first CRX I had - a 1986, flew from Dallas to Houston to get it because they offered it for $200 less. Salesman lied about paying for my Southwest Airlines ticket - should have just flown back. The Aftermarket tint bubbled the first summer.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
.... I suspect not many dealers are going to be willing to sell for less than MSRP......
Not True. Please do not take this as bragging, as I am not replying to brag, but I just got a signed (by the dealer) buyers agreement for a '06 HCH (magnetic pearl) for $21600 ($23032.45 after Tax, tags, registration, tire tax......). This was a "better then matching” quote after getting an initial all inclusive quote from another a very reputable dealer several friends have purchased from, for $23615. The original dealer also told me to come back and if I agreed to sign an order with them, they would sell me the '06 for less then the $23032 I currently have.

I must add that I am fortunate to live in an area of the country where there are a lot of dealers within an hours drive. I sent 8 dealers a request for quote (from the Honda site) and I have two dealers that I am still dealing with. Most of the others simply did not reply to the request or if they did, they quoted at or just under MSRP.

Don't give up Terry

Last edited by lkewin; 10-18-2005 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Brains of the Operation

Originally Posted by lkewin
I am fortunate to live in an area of the country where there are a lot of dealers within an hours drive. I sent 8 dealers a request for quote (from the Honda site) and I have two dealers that I am still dealing with. Most of the others simply did not reply to the request or if they did, they quoted at or just under MSRP.
Excellent job. That's what you have to do. I don't want to brag either, but I got my new 05 CVT HCH in June for $18,040 by going through the same process you did. After TTL, it topped 19k by a few cents. So good deals can be had if you're willing to play dealerships off each other and bounce quotes around. It helps to have a high concentration of dealers nearby.

I'm just worried about the change in the demand for hybrids. It was a seller's market before Katrina, and now it's just ludicrous. How many people, besides ourselves, often experience negative depreciation on their cars right now?

Old 10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would wait a little while until the hoopla dies down, then use the technique someone else used to save money on their 05 accord hybrid: Just email every dealer in your area for the lowest possible price on the configuration you are looking for. While 30 might respond that they don't negotiate, it's the 5 whoe will that interest you.

Also consider other areas of your state or maybe even different states. I live in CA so buying a car out of state is a pain, though the HCH might be ok....

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
This is a "Very-Sad" post to me but here goes.

HCH W/Nav. & Accessories + Shipping..................................... $26,186.00
Total Labor To Install Accessories....................................... ......... 2,018.00
.................................................. .......................................Total $28,204.00

The Total For All The Accessories was $2,286.00
So to summarize this; my dealer is wanting to charge me full MSRP for vehicle and Full List for all the Accessories and then charge me ($2018.00) Labor to install the Accessories.

If this is not bad enough, then I am suppose to take a ($4,500.00) Hit on my 2005 Civic purchased from same dealer with 7,000 miles on it and not a scratch on it period. Approx. 7-Months old.

Next I am also expected to pay a (Processing-Fee) of ($298.00) to do the paper work.

So here is the bottom line to all of this, I owe "$7,000.00" Dollars on a 6-Month old new Civic and if I took them up on this 06 HCH I will end up owing "21,647.88" or (3-Times) what my balance is on my 2005 Civic.

I just cannot see it, so I called Dealer and said your "Free" to sell incoming 06 HCH to next person on your list of I just got to have it and don't care about price (Person).

I have purchased 7-8 Hondas from this dealer and their new philosophy is, full list on everything concerning the 06 HCH know matter who it is. I'm just glad that I went ahead today and pressed for the bottom line price and did not wait until the vehicle showed up to find out the new "Terms" if you will.

So, sad as it is for me to type this post I think it will be a guide to others to not take the pricing of this new 06 HCH for granted or a verbal/handshake deal, you better have it in writing and use this post as an example as to how dealers treat their old customers when it comes right down to (Profit). Friendship is out the door and Profit is in. As they say, "Buyer-Beware"

Terry

Old 10-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You did the right thing in my eyes. Stick it to 'em.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: Might Get Better Waiting

aw, ouch terry. keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for. weren't you interested in an insight before? just asking, it's cheaper than the civic now (or rather the civic is more expensive than the insight), but i know the civic has more cool stuff too...

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
My 1988 CRX HF
you had a CRX hf? what kind of mileage did you get with it? my mom said those used to be the best fe cars out there for a long time. i CRXs. they're so cute.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Terry-

This will probably be of exactly zero help but if I were you, I'd very kindly and very gently remind your dealer - whom you've obviously known for some time now - that a hit he'll take reneging the $2,000 in fees he's attached is twelve times less than the hit he'll take the day of delivery by not holding his word with you, and that it's exponentially less than the incalculable hit the whole dealership will take by the negative word of mouth that invariably comes with bad business practices. I wouldn't be threatening or vile or lude, just present yourself as you are: a saddened, honest, yet loyal (for many years and hopefully many more to come) customer. If it falls on its face, nothing lost.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:07 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Hi Everyone; I took your advise "Tom Baleno" and the other members that responded to this Thread.

Contacted a dealer (Honda) in adjoining State to TN. which in this case is the State of (Kentucky).

I have a contact at the Honda dealer and have made phone contact with him today and we went over the exact same HCH with the exact same options and my 05 Civic as a trade in and expect a return call tomorrow (Wednesday) after he gets with the General Manager (G/M had already went home). So we shall see if another dealers pricing policy matches the Honda dealer here.

I sincerely hope not: Can-You-Say (Fingers Crossed)

Just thought that some of you would appreciate an update as I appreciated your comments and suggestions.

Terry

Old 10-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Folks, you gotta WAIT.....The idiots will soon get use to high price gas and continue buyng the gas guzzlers and there will be HCHs on the lot. They seem to sell in cycles even when gas is rising I have seen them setting on lots. Maybe the dealers are holding out for a sucker, but dont be one. Check around and there will be one who cuts loose of one with a discount. NOW is NOT the time to get one since they have not really hit the lot. Too, this is new model, give them time to sell some to the cant wait bunch. By this time next year all will get discount if you ask. And since the originator of this msg already has a 05...drive it, you can outwait them. Anyone will take a real hit trading in a one year old model unless you sell it yourself. Dealers are there to make money..not lose it

Old 10-18-2005, 05:25 PM

Thats a pretty good point about waiting it out. If you have an 05 most of your depreciation happened when you left the lot. Your car will still be worth a lot of money to sell or trade in in a year.

Quick Reply: "Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands