Year, Mileage, Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Year, Mileage, Problems

Collegecarpenter, I would be very skeptical of the type of oil your dealership used. The percentage of mpg drop sounds about right if they were to put 5w20 oil versus the 0w20.

I always bring my own Mobil 1 0w20 oil to insure the right type oil used. I would ask them about it.

It's also getting colder too, which will definitely hit your mpgs. Try using a grill block on those short trips to minimize the cold air hit.

This is a very efficient car. Yesterday I picked up my kids at school, brought them home. Went back out to downtown Charlotte: 69.7mpg. Coming home it was a bit cooler, 52 degrees. Put 50% of my grill block in, drove home: 66.3mpg.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Jess, Been there,done that ! I asked them about the oil and they swear it was the correct oil. I told them it was odd that i lost 10mpg after the oil change, they said "there was nothing they could have done to lose mpg's" The weather has been a little cooler, but i would think that by not using a/c it would go up a little. I was getting 50 highway and 42-44 city, now i get 38 highway and down to, at times, 32 city. the salesman told me when it was brpke in i should get better gas milage

Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmm. Perhaps they overfilled it w/ oil? Should be 3.5 qrts. Then again, my dealer put 4 in it one time and it didn't have that much of an impact.

How cool is it when you commute? You would be surprised how that could affect mpgs too. Think of your car sucking in all that cool air compromising its normal efficient temp.

Try using foam pipe insulation in your lower grill and see how that goes for you. I use the lower grill block w/ temps between 32F and 59F. Anything below 32F and I block lower and upper. Anything above 59F, unfortunately, your going to take a cold start hit which can also impact the mpgs.

Jess

Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

I will try it but this all started in august. We haven't done anything different. Just all the sudden fuel milsage dropped about 10 mpg.(right after oil change) I thought maybe it was brand of gas but have tried others with no difference

Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I see... Well you could always take it in and get the oil changed again or just wait it out until the next oil change interval.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Jess

Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Jess. that's what i'm thinking. take it somewhere else

Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by collegecarpenter
Thanks Jess. that's what i'm thinking. take it somewhere else
All signs point to the wrong oil. Go get it changed to the right stuff.

Also check tire pressures. Maybe they "fixed" them for you.

My mileage had been dropping recently (from mid 40's to low 40's), so I decided to check air pressures... it had been at least 6 months since I last checked them. All four tires were in the mid 20's. Oops. Back up to 40 psi front, 38 rear. MPG is mid to upper 40's now with some trips into the 50's.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also check tire pressures. Maybe they "fixed" them for you.
Excellent point John!

Jess

Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

2008 @ 21,000+ - Depending on roads, hills, weather I run between 46 to 53 mpg. Had one 56 tank. Did 1 short trip, top speed about 45 mph due to cross country bicycle tour for 3/4 of the trip. I pulled in to the parking lot, looked down and had 84 mpg [****!!!] ("she" insisted on driving home, WITH the A/C on, on the InterState ... 45 :-( )

Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

All right highjackers, back on target.

2006 HCH w/ 33k no problems at all. Also, had a '07 that I traded for a minivan. It had no probs up to 17k miles.

Personally, I think most major problems with the current generation are rare and lemon-flavored. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase any new or used of the current generation HCH.

Cheers, nf

Quick Reply: Year, Mileage, Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands