Year, Mileage, Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Year, Mileage, Problems

2006 HCH, 77,000, around 46 mpg in all types of driving, main problem is due to Honda's design, it eats tires and they will not fix my problem. As of now I hate it, it was a bad purchase I wish I had never made. I can honestly say if this does not get resolved to my satisfaction I will never buy another Honda product again and anytime somebody asks me about the car, I will give them an honest opinion about the car and Honda.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

rynounce99: Is it wearing the rear tires only. Could be the upper control arm issue. I had mine replaced on warranty and have no more problems! Look into this with your Dealer. Hal

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

I am pretty sure it is only a rear tire thing, but since they get rotated, they are all messed up.
I talked to the dealer yesterday and they flatly told me Honda would not cover putting on new upper control arms and for them to do it and do an alignment would be like $360 because it is out of warranty.
If I had known what the issue was for sure before the car was out of warranty, I would have got it fixed, but I had no idea I had this big of a problem until recently.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

2006 HCH, 50K miles. I haven't had the control arms replaced, but no problems with uneven tire wear yet.

Only one problem to date. At 40,000 miles, it started making a grinding noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds (e.g. parallel parking). Turned out to be a bad front strut.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Slowspark, our 06 with 73500km was just in for similar issue: I could hear it when low speed turning. Jacking up the front end and swinging a tire (sim'ing a left or right turn) caused a woodpecker type, loud metallic sound. Dealership service department first replaced portions of the right front shock (our expense), and then when noise persisted, the right side drive shaft assembly (warranty repair, I guess considered part of power train).

The sound seems to have "abated", ie: if it's still present it's now very subdued. To date I'm still wondering if it might be something to do with the steering rack-and-pinion assembly.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast

I own a 2009 HCH in Seattle area. I used to get around 40MPG until the begining of October. For some reason, now I get 34-35MPG. The dealer says don't go to Costco and WA started requiring moreEthanol??
I don't know, but some how it sounds like BS to me.
MPG is always exaggerated, but come on it just doesn't drop 6MPG.

Any insight?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ethanol plus colder weather will definitely give you a big hit to your mpgs. On top of that you have the "winter grade" gas which is like watered down "summer grade". I, myself have gone from getting 65+mpg commutes to trying like crazy to attain 60mpg.

Every year starting around November I see a 10% hit. There's just no avoiding it.

Jess

Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

38,0000 miles / 61,000 kms

No problems whatsoever. I always have my dealer use Mobil1 0w-20 and replace the filter each oil change with a Napa Gold filter. I just follow the maintenance minder, it couldn't be easier.

No rattles or shakes, it feels and drives like the day I drove off the lot. Best car I've ever owned!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

2004 HCH CVT, 105k miles...

I'm averaging between 45-48 mpg consistently, in mixed driving. Bought the car this past July with 99k miles on it; previous owner traded it on a new Prius. The car is in excellent shape, it's obvious the maintenance was kept up. The floor mats even looked brand new. Overall, very satisfied..

I am hearing a rattle in the passenger side of the dash (or door) which can get annoying at times. Any ideas on what this could be? I've read this somewhat common on the HCH 1.

The seat belt doesn't like to retract....

I'm not experiencing any shudders or vibrations from the CVT, but it does feel like it slips when going up sharper inclines. Could this be a "start clutch" issue? How expensive is replacement of the start clutch (approx)? I noticed the CVT was making a 'pop' sound here and there when the brake was released and the engine started back up. I had the CVT fluid replaced by Honda and the noise hasn't returned. To be on the safe side, I plan to change the CVT fluid every 15k.

Fingers crossed, thus far no issues with the IMA battery. Seeing as I bought the car used, will Honda still honor all of the recalls and TSBs? What's the process to see if the recalls/TSBs have been addressed or requesting these services?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Think green.

Originally Posted by S2K&HCH
2004 HCH CVT, 105k miles...

...I am hearing a rattle in the passenger side of the dash (or door) which can get annoying at times. Any ideas on what this could be?

...Seeing as I bought the car used, will Honda still honor all of the recalls and TSBs? What's the process to see if the recalls/TSBs have been addressed or requesting these services?
Hi Damon,

Regarding the rattle near the passenger side of the dash. You can open up, empty, and then lower the glove compartment (there are 2 plastic toggle connectors on the inside, one along each side edge that act as hinges to hold the glove compartment up; they pop in and out pretty easily.) This procedure is used when you go to replace the cabin air filters. I was thinking maybe something is loose back there, either the rectangular "door" that opens to the cabin filter compartment or something else in that area. There should be 2 cabin air filters in there; one is directly behind the rectangular door, and another is positioned to the right of that one.
Other than that possibility, I often hear intermittent rattles more often when the weather turns cold.

I bought my car used as well, but it was certifed used from a Honda dealer, so my circumstances may vary from yours. One way to find out about recalls pertinent to your vehicle is to sign up to the Honda ownerlink at ahm-ownerlink.com. Once you've made yourself a log-in, there's a link that tells you if there are any recalls that may apply to your vehicle. You can ask a Honda dealer or try calling Honda to find out whether the recalls and TSBs apply to your used vehicle. Maybe the service department at your local Honda dealer can input your car's VIN into their system to see if any recalls or TSBs were performed on your car previously.

Quick Reply: Year, Mileage, Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands