Your Favorite Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Your Favorite Gas?

So sending money to Citgo - and a Venezuelan president (dictator?) who has stated he would like to see the US wiped off the map (not an exact quote - just paraphrasing) is better than sending money to the middle east? Not sure I completely agree with that one - but I'm not sure we have much of a choice with our current oil addiction until we decide to pull our heads out of the sand (collectively - I know many of us are trying individually).

Eric

Old 04-18-2006, 04:56 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I use Gulf for two reasons: price is lowest and I have a 3 percent discount Gulf CC which I pay off every month (no interest).

As for the politics, six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by Archslater
Citgo and BP....

BP does a lot of research in sustainable/alternative fuels. They are one of the leading producers of photo voltaic cells...... even powering many of their gas station pumps with solar energy. They also buy less gasoline from the middle east. They seem to have a vision for a world without oil.

Citgo is all South American oil, again less money sent to the middle east.
The few BP commercials I've seen on the little TV I watch anymore shows their new marketing scheme as "Beyond Petroleum." Who cares that it's an oil company doing the research into sustainable stuff? At least they've made it obvious that they know oil's not going to last forever. As for Citgo... well, other have already made the Chavez connection. BP, if I remember, is primarily North Sea.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

if your concern is primarily region of origin, here's your roadmap:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...ports/cli.html

They've all got issues, though BP gets the bulk of their recently imported oil from Canada, for what its worth.

Hess is a wildcard- their refinery is in the Virgin Islands, and EIA does not track origin of imports to offshore points. From what I understand, they get their oil mostly from Nigeria?

Old 04-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by williaea
So sending money to Citgo - and a Venezuelan president (dictator?) who has stated he would like to see the US wiped off the map (not an exact quote - just paraphrasing) is better than sending money to the middle east? Not sure I completely agree with that one - but I'm not sure we have much of a choice with our current oil addiction until we decide to pull our heads out of the sand (collectively - I know many of us are trying individually).

Eric
Absolutely, I think it is better than sending money to the middle east. Despite what Pat Robertson thinks, Chavez is no Castro or Hussein. Don't think he stated that he would wipe the US off the map, you are exagerating? For what its worth, I mainly go to BP, as it is well documented where the bulk of their fuel comes from.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I usually go for the best price, except I won't buy at Arco. In my old car their gas really didn't go over well. Also, I heard from someone who knew an insider about their bad environmental clean-up policies (or lack thereof). I don't know what the word is since they were bought by BP, and I don't know if they changed their formula since then, but I don't usually buy from them still, out of habit. (Except I did for a rental car before I returned it!)

My top choices are Chevron (except not lately since they're expensive), Shell, which is more reasonably priced on my route and runs well, and lately USA Petrolium, which I think is a "generic" brand, or a smaller chain, and has the best prices. Their fomula also has not hindered my mpg.

But they're all the same anyway, right? I mean, I could boycot one because of politics or enviromental stuff, but I wouldn't know if the other whom I turn to is just as bad.... The best would be for me to move much closer to work, and walk or bike most of the time!
--A

Old 04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

Well I sort of started this with what I thought was a polite way to word things and a link to my blog ... but figure I better clear up a couple points and give "MY" opinion. YPMV

Chavez and Castro are pretty close 'buds' -- but to be fair he shouldn't be compared to Saddam. He's not a dictator, although is beginning to handle his authority over the country, its people, its companies and comes down hard on those disagreeing with his positions. He's not a nice man if you do not agree with him.

Our state department has concerns that his communist leanings might destablilze South America and in particular its neighbors ... and Chavez is using 'oil' and his clout as the 5th largest oil exporter in the world to get things his way.

He has been outwardly critical of the US government believing we are out to get him; Washington denies that of course. I don't recall him saying that "he would wipe the US off the map" ... but he does slander our President and intends to "defeat the empire." (referring to the US)

I'd rather not be doing business directly with his government, and frankly don't want my dollars going into his pocket or used to "defeat the empire." Call me a 'right-winger' ... but when authoritarian leaders dislike America that much, I'm not funding his objectives. Not purchasing Citgo product might be a small thing to do, but I'd actually rather see a few dollar buy oil from Iraq. (if we're going to rebuild and protect them anyway, we might as well get something for our money???)

It would be better to conserve and use more home grown renewable fuel until new technology arrives ... that's why I'm continuing to support domestically grown, domestically processed, domestically supplied EFFICIENT biodiesel. Clean (carbon-neutral), renewable, domestic and still gets me 45 - 50mpg.

Chavez, a fierce Washington critic, accuses the U.S. government of repeatedly trying to discredit his government and orchestrate his ouster. American officials deny those charges but accuse him of authoritarian tendencies and threatening democracies in the region.

Chavez, who frequently refers to Bush as "Mr. Danger," said U.S. officials would fail in their attempts to turn Latin American nations against Venezuela.

"You create your front Mr. Danger, we will create ours," Chavez said. "We are going to defeat the empire."

On Thursday, Rice told the House Foreign Relations Committee that Chavez posed a threat to democracy in Latin America and criticized Venezuela's increasingly close relationship with communist-led Cuba.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

By the way, Hugo Chavez was democratically elected with a much wider margin than our current president!!!--- Chavez poses NO threat to democracy in South America-----Chavez poses a threat to U.S oil prices because the neocons in the White House would like someone in charge of Venezeula who will be friendly to their economic policy through out South America.....I buy Citgo, not only because rather than racking up record profits like Exxon and BP, Citgo donates heating fuel to poor families, including families and the elderly in the northeast U.S. last winter. Also, my car seem to get better milage with Citgo.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned
Default Does The Gas Source Matter That Much?

In the end, not a lot.

This is sort of like saying "I'll only pump water from the shallow end of the swimming pool..." - the water level will drop just as much on the deep end.

Choosing gas would have more impact if there was a surplus - which is clearly not today's situation, and may never happen again for an more than a few weeks at a time.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mental note to self - Don't reply to topics having to do with politics. Keep mouth shut!

Sorry guys - didn't mean to offend anybody.

Eric

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Gas?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands