First Drive in 2005 Insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tdmsu:

___Oh yes, the tire pressures At least try the MAX Sidewall pressure cold on every automobile you own. I have stretch goals so I run ~ 20% higher then MAX Sidewall. Most Consumer tires have a MAX Sidewall of 44#’s and I hope you experiment with steadily increasing pressures with a careful log of FE across the tanks as you increase it. This will definitely make a difference in your FE, that is a guarantee.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hi xcel,

Thanks for the advice... I'll try it and report the results. Another oil question... does using an oil different from what is called for pose any risks? Any long-term wear issues? If not, why don't all cars already use some form of 0w20?

I test drove an Accord Hybrid, a VW Passat TDI, and a VW Jetta TDI today. I took each on the identical 12 mile combination city/highway trip. I've been reading lots about diesel claims vs. hybrids, so I thought I'd do a little research. (I still could not find an Insight or decent Prius to drive)

The MPG champ was the Passat - it had a 2.0L TDI 4cyl - I got approximately 37MPG for the trip, with long streches on the highway at 65MPH getting 46MPG using cruise. The only problem I had with it were not mechanical, but stylistic.... the dash looks cheap, cheap, cheap...

The Jetta was similar to the Passat, but I had no way of getting a MPG reading - no trip computer or anything. Same cheap looking controls.

The Accord was as smooth as a dream, and I was able to make 33MPG for the trip despite not realizing the salesman turned on the AC before I left. It screams quality and refinement. I also got to play with the Nav system (although it was the version for the Odyessy... it is similar) - very cool! The handling and acceleration between the Passat and Accord are also very similar, but the Accord has a nicer ride.

The VW salesman told me that the TDI runs cleaner than a hybrid, and beats in everyway. If it were not for the sulphur emissions of the TDI, I might have gone with one despite the chincy interior. The Passat is much less expensive than the Accord (something like $6000), but does not sacrifice in economy or driving experience. The Accord makes up for the cost IMHO through reduced emissions.

I think I'll go with the Accord, but I still have about a month to be obsessive about this...

p

Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tdmsu:

___I have to get to bed so real quickly …

___Low viscosity oils were created to beat CAFÉ. As such, they not only helped in that regard, the superior protection offered by a PAO IV synthetic and low kinematic viscosity for higher FE makes for a great addition to many of today’s automobiles. The synthetics of today are far superior to anything we had 10 + years ago … The problem is that Ford and Honda are the only manufacturers to recommend 5W-20 up and down much of their lineups vs. 5W and 10W-30 for most of the rest. With that, Mobil1 0W-20 is a perfect substitute for 5W-20.

___It is tough to beat a TDI in the FE department even in a hybrid. That being said, even the inadequate VW Lupo 3L in Europe can barely touch the Insight 5-speed for real world FE and range. In the performance area, the LUPO is vastly outclassed by the Insight. I used these two automobiles as examples against one another because of their class leading FE’s from their respective continents. The compact/mid-sized TDI’s available here in the US can do some damage with a hypermiler behind the wheel but you see the highest FE coming from the Hybrid drivers overall. I think it’s the tools available to the hybrid driver for maximizing FE? The TDI’s do well under a wide variety of driving conditions for the below average driver but never get the chance to shine because the tools are simply missing imho. This is just a theory even though the TDI’s are possibly > 40% thermally efficient vs. the 33 - 38% for the hybrid ICE’s but the smaller hybrid ICE’s for the same size automobile achieve parody or better in the FE department after all is said and done.

___In regards to emissions, your VW salesman was mis-informed to say it kindly. The CO and HC output of a TDI can meet or beat a LEV/ULEV based hybrid but the NOx and PM emissions are upwards of 100 times higher depending on which hybrid you are comparing it to. The TDI’s are already limited to sell in just 45 states because of their poor NOx and PM emissions but there is technology on the horizon to hopefully bring the Diesel back into the ULEV/SULEV range. It is not here yet and it is not going to be cheap so who knows what the final solution will be?

___If I had a choice of purchasing a Euro Accord/TSX w/ the 2.2 L iCDTi and an Accord Hybrid w/ its monster fast setup with relatively high FE when driven for it today, I am not sure which one I would pick? Probably the AH given the much larger interior but the Euro Accord would make some Prius II and HCH owners wonder if they have the right automobile given the iCDTi’s FE capabilities with very decent mid-size sedan like performance. I am speaking in terms of FE alone as emissions wise, the HCH and Prius II are at least a generation ahead of the iCDTi because of its NOx and PM problem.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net