How practical is this tiny car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned
Wink Not Exactly a Boring Discussion...

tigerhonaker,

I realize you were quoting someone else, although it was not initially obvious - no offense.

zimbop,

With all due respect, I don't see the need to make many upgrades to the 5-speed Insight. When I got mine, I added seat covers and floor mats - far less than my upgrade list on the 1988 CRX HF.

In your situation, I think you could be very pleased finding a previously owned 5-speed Insight for $15-10K, send to to an automotive upholstry shop for the seats and maybe doors. Add satellite radio or even nav and it's loaded.

I hope this is close to the kind of driving you had in mind, but if you are doing freeway driving averaging 70mph as I did the first 2-3 years, expect to get 60mpg or close. That's assuming there is not a lot of speed variation in your commute.

I would not characterize this as spartan amenities. If/when demand increases, Insight-like vehicles will have more options, but we are lucky that Honda even bothers to offer this.

Aluminum Body Work

Two of my four collisions impacted the aluminum parts, but Goodson Acura in Irving, Texas did a good job, except they glued the honda hood ornament upside down. The other two collisions were fender damage that was repaired at regular body shops. At 92,000 miles/5.5 years no shakes, rattles or paint damage. Yes, I have driven more cautiously after the first three years...

Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How practical is this tiny car?

Tiger - It's all good. This is just a discussion. I'm getting valuable info from it and we're all simply expressing ourselves.

Delta - I was just responding to the fact that many of your rebuttals to the insight cons listed were "upgradable". One of the reasons I really liked the HCH was because it has all those nice features already, it didn't require any upgrades to be a full featured car. It's not a stripped down model by any means - it has PW, PL, CD, etc. I realize that some insight shoppers might be gas-misers because they're cheap. Others may be interested because they have the money and want to use les petro, but do not want a stripped-down car. I believe I fall closer to the second group. I suppose it's nice for the first group to have access to the simpler car, though options from the factory would also please the second group if they were available.

I, for one, really hate aftermarket upgrades. I have never had them work as well or feel as seamless as the equivalent factory option. Plus they usually end up costing more than factory stuff in the end anyway.

There's more than one reason to want an economy car - being cheap is not the only reason. Ever tried to find a manual in a regular car lately? As far as I can tell the carmakers think the only reason you'd want a manual is because you're too cheap to fork out $800 for the automatic, so often the manual only comes on the stripped down model with no access to some of the nice features. Or with trucks, they put such a crappy light duty tranny in the manual that the tow rating is half what you get with an auto. Seems like a similar situation though not the same. Economy car right? Means they don't want to spend money on anything so don't put anything in it that costs money. Hogwash. The way I see it is I like the hybrids because I like to use less gas, not because it costs less to operate. If I was only thinking about money I would likely conclude that buying a hybrid was a losing proposition as its increased costs may not offset the fuel savings. They know we're paying extra for environmental concerns so they may as well figure we'll pay extra for comfort too - that's what they did with the HCH. Maybe not with the Insight and perhaps that's a good thing because everyone has an option that might appeal to them that way.

Ugh, I rambled. Sorry.

Last edited by zimbop; 01-07-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:31 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Ok you guys take it easy on Tiger (speaking in regular member voice). While what he said might be viewed as nit picky, everything he mentioned about a stock Insight is true. I'd rather someone be informed and be realistic than get something and be dissapointed.

Personally I'd be happy with any hybrid car. If I had an Accord I'd be happy knowing that in spite of not getting the best mileage the car was very nice and comfortable. The Insight is at the other end of the scale trading room and comfort for ultimate mileage.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: Trade-Offs; Unrealistic Expectations

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Ever notice at intersections when your engine is autostoped/off how loud other's stereos are?
Yes. If I don't have my radio on I can always here other people's radios when I'm at a light (with the windows up).

Old 01-07-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Yes. If I don't have my radio on I can always here other people's radios when I'm at a light (with the windows up).
I've taken to honking my horn to the beat of the deafening ooze coming from those cars. Usually doesn't do much but **** off other drivers, but I think sometimes I get my point across to the Escalade with spinny wheels causing local seizmographs to run out of ink.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zimbop
I've taken to honking my horn to the beat of the deafening ooze coming from those cars. Usually doesn't do much but **** off other drivers, but I think sometimes I get my point across to the Escalade with spinny wheels causing local seizmographs to run out of ink.
I do something along those lines in the gym when the beat resembles dinosaur stomping.

I attempted to say if you cruise on the highway at 70mph, you could get about 60mpg and upgrade the mentioned shortcomings.

Why does Honda not offer more options on the Insight? It's not a true high-volume production car. The economy car of 1920 - the Model T was infamously available in any color as long as it was black. I hope in the coming years greater consumer demand for fuel efficient vehicles will increase the options.

I'm an unabashed Insight apologist asserting it's a great speciality vehicle, which by definition means it's not for everybody. One could make a list of shortcomings of other speciality vehicles such as the Ferrari or the Suburban just as easily. All of these do one or two things very well at the expense of everything else.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:11 PM

I do something along those lines in the gym when the beat resembles dinosaur stomping.

I attempted to say if you cruise on the highway at 70mph, you could get about 60mpg and upgrade the mentioned shortcomings.

Why does Honda not offer more options on the Insight? It's not a true high-volume production car. The economy car of 1920 - the Model T was infamously available in any color as long as it was black. I hope in the coming years greater consumer demand for fuel efficient vehicles will increase the options.

I'm an unabashed Insight apologist asserting it's a great speciality vehicle, which by definition means it's not for everybody. One could make a list of shortcomings of other speciality vehicles such as the Ferrari or the Suburban just as easily. All of these do one or two things very well at the expense of everything else.
Good point about the Model T, but don't forget that its demise was the fact that Ford refused to upgrade the 4-cylinder. People won't put up with bare bones forever.

If I could get 60 mpg cruising at 70 mph then the Insight may be a good possibility for me. I mostly wanted an impression for what it's like to be inside it and whether it will carry what I usually take with me. Sounds like that's true to the point where I need to determine if I'll be comfy sitting in it for 90 minutes twice a day. I will keep trying to get inside one.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

The seat is a little low. My 92-yr Grandmom had problems getting in and out because it's low.

From a comfort standpoint, I'd concentrate on the seats. I'd not bothered with the seats until after the first hour...

Upgrade for the Hard Core Hypermiler

Someone has come up with an manual override to activate the assist on the Insight - called MIMA. I think about nine have spent $500 on his kit and get 20% or so better fuel economy. I'd be curious if it shortens battery life...

Old 01-07-2006, 08:24 PM

Upgrade for the Hard Core Hypermiler

Someone has come up with an manual override to activate the assist on the Insight - called MIMA. I think about nine have spent $500 on his kit and get 20% or so better fuel economy. I'd be curious if it shortens battery life...
So what/where is it? Can you post a link?

Quick Reply: How practical is this tiny car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands