How practical is this tiny car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned
Default Re: How practical is this tiny car?

Most of my recals are in the summer when I'm stuck in traffic with the A/C on. I habitually toggle the A/C off when accelerating, then engage it on cruise.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Terry,

You're right on about that and that is a HUGE positive point for the HCH II (and even a Prius in that case) for them having the electric A/C. For the most part I do what Chuck says, turn off the A/C until cruising speed. That being said, a lot of people aren't quick on their toes - they can't rub their bellies and pat themselves on the head at the same time while saying the alphabet backwards. Because of my work, I'm used to vehicles with LOTS (80-90) of switches and buttons so it doesn't really bother me.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Banned
Default Commuted at 70mph - 64.1mpg

zimbop,

I did my 25-mile work commute today and averaged 70mph or close. Got 64.1mpg so doing 60mpg is definitely possible....

Old 01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Commuted at 70mph - 64.1mpg

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
zimbop,

I did my 25-mile work commute today and averaged 70mph or close. Got 64.1mpg so doing 60mpg is definitely possible....
Sounds good. What happens in that car if you drive your normal route forgetting that it's a hybrid and ignoring any conservation techniques, driving it like a regular car? Of course I'm not asking you to actually do that (I wouldn't ask you to wreck your average for me) but make your best guess based on your experience. Thanks.

-Andy-

Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

My Crystal Ball says aggressive driving/varied speed could deduct 10mpg, down to 54.1mpg. I did 64.1, so 60mpg should not be that hard to do. The main thing is to keep a constant speed.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Hey Andy, I saw Chuck's post this morning so I decided to check my commute. Let me first mention something that hasn't been mentioned as well. The Insight has FOUR FCD readouts. Trip A, Trip B, FCD and Lifetime. That makes it really easy to reset for each commute. I find that when I do reset for each commute the mileage goes up as I'm more aware I'm in a hybrid.

My commute today was 89.4 miles roundtrip at 76.1 MPG. Cruising speeds anywhere from 55 to 68, I topped the 68 MPH into the 70's but didn't cruise there long. For my location when I drive "normal" (faster - aka = borderline idiot like everyone else around here) I get around 64 MPG. Today I tried not to block traffic but I did, the speed limitk was 60 and I stayed right about 66 MPH for the majority of the trip. There was quite a bit of bumper to bumper/ stop-go city traffic involved too.

Hope that helps a bit more.

AL

Last edited by rigger; 01-09-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Banned
Default This morning: 68mpg at 70mph

....actually it might be an average speed a little slower than 70, but I was between 65-75 most of the commute.

I hope this establishes keeping a constant speed really helps the fuel economy...

Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why Cruise Control Doen't Work (I Think)

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I could be wrong, but cruise control works best on powerful vehicles with automatics - the anthesis of the 5-speed Insight.

My foot does not suffer much from long trips. I'd bet that most Insight drivers desiring better comfort would enhance or replace the seat.

If you don't/can't hypermile - that's OK. Just be aware that cruise controls are probably a bad fit on very lightweight 5-speeds, esp. hill climbing....
I drove my 2000 Insight from Phoenix to Philadelphia, alone, and made 62 mpg, and never had a backache. Went there for a 6 month job, and was able to haul everything I needed (clothes, etc.)...no furniture, though

Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is all good info, thanks. Keep it coming.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
I sort of see your point here, but the contrary could be said as well - what good is a car that you have to upgrade everything on to make it worth owning? Just put the right stuff in it up front and a lot more people might want it.
Believe it or not, the Insight has better legroom than the front seats of the new (and bigger) Civic Hybrid!

Quick Reply: How practical is this tiny car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands