XM Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default XM Radio Questions

I received an XM radio car kit as a gift and after looking at it, it seems that the antenna is a magnet attached unit intended for a steel roof. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to mount an XM antenna on the aluminum roof? Anyone with experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM Radio Questions

Originally Posted by Hovercar
I received an XM radio car kit as a gift and after looking at it, it seems that the antenna is a magnet attached unit intended for a steel roof. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to mount an XM antenna on the aluminum roof? Anyone with experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.
I attached my antenna to the glass on the hatchback window using some double-sided tape. It mounted it up high, near the window squirter. A stereo shop installed it for me. I'm not exactly sure how they ran the wire back there.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, I've just scheduled my install. How has your reception been with it mounted on the hatchback? Who did your install, a small firm or big shop? Thanks for the advice, John.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:57 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

I move my Roady from car to car-lately I have just taped it to the dashboard.Works fine.Luck,Charlie

Old 05-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I too have my antenna on the dashboard for my roadyXT.

I get some dropuouts, but not anymore than I would expect. Only places are when there are tall buildings or trees blocking the view to the southwest. Going under some bridges too.

I take my xm out of my car too often to use a permenant mount like tape.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:06 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I third but with Sirius. My antenna is on the dash.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all for your input. I was able to get a professional installation at Best Buy. They really surprised me - I was very relunctant to take my new car to a mass retailer, but they were very careful and spent 30 minutes before the installation discussing options.

The actual installation took a little over two hours. They knew exactly where to go to disable the high voltage while they performed the work and mounted a bracket on which to mount the Audiovox unit behind the radio bezel and secured it with the screws holding the radio to the dash. No new holes, no wires showing and a very professional looking installation. They mounted the antenna on the upper right corner of the windshield and the reception during my 1 hour drive home was exactly what I expected - no surprises or drop outs other than where I always get them with the factory install in my Silverado.

Kudos to Best Buy for a great installation. I would recommend that you check your installer out thoroughly, whoever they are, and make sure they know what they are doing before going for an installation of this type. Obviously, results probably very dependent on who is running the shop at your local store. John

Last edited by Hovercar; 06-05-2006 at 07:45 PM.