Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Camry hybrid priced $5K below Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Camry hybrid priced $5K below Accord

I thought I read somewhere that the TCH is only going to have a 40 HP electric motor. If that is the case, will the car still have an EV-only mode, or will it be a "3/4 Hybrid" like the 2006 HCH?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:28 AM

The electric motor of the TCH is theoretically alot more powerful than 40 hp -- it's the battery that outputs 45 hp, whereas the Prius battery only outputs 28 hp. So in EV mode, where the battery is the sole source of power and the engine is generating none, the Prius is 28 hp and the TCH is 45. But the TCH is much heavier than the Prius and I think it has only a slightly larger battery pack, so its range and/or maximum EV-only speed is more limited than the Prius'. Still, with 61% more horsepower but just around a 22% weight increase, it should accelerate quicker in EV mode than the Prius does.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

Count me as one of the very intrigued. I will be weighing the Prius versus the new Civic versus the Camry. The Camry is ideal since I can get it in leather (anyone else notice the irony of a hybrid in leather) and it is more mid-sized than the other vehicles. The fuel economy isn't great, I was hoping for at least 40mpg on a Toyota vehicle.

This would be my second vehicle purchase ever. My current Jeep Cherokee has treated me well for the last 12 years and I don't have a complaint in the world about it. However, times have changed and I am goign to be buying where my values and politics lie.

Last edited by Mr Bean; 04-03-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Edit: my first post on the board, whoot.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
YA RLY.

The TCH is going to clean house in sales. The new Camry is a good family car. Now that people are finally iguring out that fuel prices are only going to go higher, HSD in the Camry is going to make it that much more desireable.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
(anyone else notice the irony of a hybrid in leather)
No. It's no more ironic than a hybrid driver eating meat. No cows are killed specifically for their skin you know (unlike fur).

Old 04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
No. It's no more ironic than a hybrid driver eating meat. No cows are killed specifically for their skin you know (unlike fur).
And I thought "Fine Corithian Leather" was a synthetic made from petroleum.

Having a fair amount of real saddle time, leather never appealed to me . . . except in 'cat woman' jumpers lady actresses wore.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Leather holds no appeal for me either, but not because of where it comes from. I just find it slippery, hot when it's hot, cold when it's cold, and very smelly. Not to mention it's more expensive than fabric, which is better in every way in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Energy Independence!

Well, Honda, the bar has been raised once again.

What are you going to do? Are you going to simply sit and see marketshare slid away, or are you going to rise up to the challenge?

Me thinks they will follow the second choice.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check this quote out fellas:

This month Toyota is introducing a hybrid version of the Camry that gives the "performance of the V-6 and the fuel economy of a four-cylinder," according to Ed La Rocque, national car marketing manager for Toyota. The Camry Hybrid will have 21 percent more adrenaline-inducing horsepower than the four-cylinder model, but nearly doubles the estimated city fuel-efficiency rating of the six-cylinder version, from 22 miles per gallon to 43 mpg. The company has not announced pricing, but La Rocque says it will be less than the $22,795 suggested retail price of the Camry XLE.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...?tw=wn_index_1

Old 04-06-2006, 02:21 PM

We already know what the price is: $25900 + $580 delivery, or $26480 total. The price is right there on Toyota.com.

Quick Reply: Camry hybrid priced $5K below Accord

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands