Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid wins green car award

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Site Founder
Default Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid wins green car award

A full-size sport utility vehicle is the winner of this year's Green Car of the Year award. No, that's not a typo. The Green Car Journal on Thursday named the hybrid Chevrolet Tahoe as its 2008 winner at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michi...t=newsmichigan

Old 04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid wins green car award

Hmmm. I'm not sure why this didn't generate more discussion here. Personally, I don't really care what greencar.com says or who they award green car of the year to. I have a strong feeling that they award it to whoever gives them the most money. I hate how GM advertises their 'green car' everywhere! Even the car has like 6 or 7 hybrid logos on it.
Does anyone know the real reason that this car won the award? I can tell you it doesn't have anything to do with the 22MPGs.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Engineering first

As long as my hybrid continues to deliver excellent mileage, I don't care what others do.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Energy Independence

I would probably NOT have given the Tahoe the green award either. But...

Though I don't need one, a full-size capable-towing UTE getting 20+ MPG in the city IS pretty impressive. Not sure who exactly is going to buy these expensive SUVs, but if people that REALLY need such a SUV consider them, they'll be saving tons of gas/money over the regular Tahoe. This IS worthy of mention - and some level of hype.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

I don't see them saving a "Ton" of money nor a ton of hydrocarbons. Motor Trend averaged 14mpg with the regular Tahoe and 18mpg with the Hybrid in overall averages of three gas tanks in the same environment. Top it off with a premium cost up front and they would have own the thing for 7-10 years to break even.

Originally Posted by gumby
I would probably NOT have given the Tahoe the green award either. But...

Though I don't need one, a full-size capable-towing UTE getting 20+ MPG in the city IS pretty impressive. Not sure who exactly is going to buy these expensive SUVs, but if people that REALLY need such a SUV consider them, they'll be saving tons of gas/money over the regular Tahoe. This IS worthy of mention - and some level of hype.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

The link isn't working for me??

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Energy Independence

According to the recent Motorweek article comparing hybrid and non-hybrid versions of the Tahoe (BTW, excellent article. They also compared the Civic Hybrid with the Civic EX, and a MB E-class BlueTec with the MB E-class):

"The SEMTECH emissions test shows the E85 Tahoe is cleaner than gas overall. But in the critical greenhouse gas area highway CO2 emissions the hybrid was markedly better despite its bigger 6.0 liter V8."

Markedly better CO2 emissions.

Motorweek also said that the Hybrid Tahoe was about $4000 more than a similarly-equipped "regular" Tahoe (these are very loaded vehicles, $51K and $47K, I think).

Let's do the math:
12,000 annual miles at 14 MPG = 857.14 gallons consumed a year
12,000 annual miles at 18 MPG = 666.67 gallons consumed a year (or 190.47 gallons less)

Over 5 years, that's 952.35 gallons less gas consumed for the Hybrid Tahoe.

Over the next 5 years (60,000 miles) at an average gas price per gallon of:
$3.50, that's $3333 savings in gas (I think $3.50 a gallon will prove too low as a 5-yr avg)
$4.00, that's $3809 savings in gas (this may prove too low, too)
$4.50, that's $4285 savings in gas
$5.00, that's $4762 savings in gas

With the average gas price over the next 5 years at $4.25, the Hybrid Tahoe breaks even in cost with the "regular" Tahoe in just under 60,000 miles. 5 years or so for your average 12,000 mile a year driver.
Even if gas prices stay at the current $3.50 a gallon (not likely), the break-even is only another year. So 6 years (72,000 miles).
And you are sending much less money over to the Middle East (notice my by-line ), and more to GM (and boy do they ever need it).

Now, if your driving is all highway, the difference in highway MPG is not much at all, and it would take a very long time to recover the cost difference.
My situation is similar to this, in that the vast majority of my driving would be considered highway. So, I probably would be intrigued by, but not buy, a Tahoe Hybrid for my commute.