Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

EPA Displays 1st Advanced Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Site Founder

The first advanced hydraulic hybrid sport utility vehicle was publicly displayed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), along with its partners, at the 2004 Society of Automotive (SAE) World Congress in March in Detroit, Michigan. This vehicle demonstrates that hydraulic hybrid technology has the potential to dramatically and cost-effectively improve the fuel economy of sport utility vehicles (SUVs) while at the same time improving performance.

"We are very excited about the potential for hydraulic hybrids in consumer and commercial applications," said Margo Oge, director of EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality. "This achievement builds on more than a decade of leadership by EPA and its partners in optimizing hydraulic technology for vehicle applications and bringing them into the marketplace."

View entire article here.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like a cost effective alternative to electric hybrids. While returning more performance, bettter fuel economy, and lower emissions than current electric hybrids. I wonder where this will go...

Old 04-29-2004, 06:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___I have a great read for you and anyone else that is interested in the way our political system works behind the scenes in terms of the automobile industry including Dr. Gray’s Hydraulic Hybrid initiatives inside of the EPA.

___Believe me, if there is one lengthy article(s) you must read to understand what has been and is going on with the US’s advanced automotive capabilities, this is the one. I don’t think you need a Chicago Tribune subscription but if you do, it’s a quick sign up or I can copy and paste this monster as needed …

___Start with the following and work your way forward …

Super Car: The Tanking of an American Dream

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-29-2004, 06:49 PM

thats ingenious, why didnt i think of that. good for them.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Hi Stevo12886:

___I just hope Ford or GM can do something with the Hydraulic Hybrid technology. $600/vehicle is a lot less then $3K - $6K for hopefully the ~ same benefit? Regenerative braking, acceleration, and a 42 V system for Autostop capabilities … It won’t have a pure EV mode but I would be glad to give up EV mode (our HCH’s and Insight’s don’t have this right now) and pocket the $3K + myself …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 04-30-2004, 04:13 PM

sheesh, im to much of an engineer in the head. i get really bored at school, so i have two generations of my own hydralic hybrid design that is a "design within reach" for me and my friend to add to our VW Bug project... :ph34r:

Old 07-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by xcel@Apr 29th 2004 @ 8:13 AM
Hi Jason:

___I have a great read for you and anyone else that is interested in the way our political system works behind the scenes in terms of the automobile industry including Dr. Gray’s Hydraulic Hybrid initiatives inside of the EPA.

___Believe me, if there is one lengthy article(s) you must read to understand what has been and is going on with the US’s advanced automotive capabilities, this is the one. I don’t think you need a Chicago Tribune subscription but if you do, it’s a quick sign up or I can copy and paste this monster as needed …

___Start with the following and work your way forward …

Super Car: The Tanking of an American Dream

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
I read that all the way through. I found it disturbing for a few reasons...

1) It was such a groundbreaking and historical event and NOBODY knows/knew about it. I mean, that should be a household thing that everybody knows about. The government and American Auto industry and EPA all playing as a team instead of being cut-throat. It amazes me that this project ever got underway. And if Al Gore would have been elected president, it would probably be nearing completion as we speak of it.

2) Charles Gray, the leading man behind the whole thing, is quite possibley the one who tore it all apart. I know, the auto industry execs are probably the ones to bame, but Gray wasn't helping anybody but himself and Ford alone when he signed that contract. This whole project should have had everyone involved from start to finish with no secrets in order for it to work. Unfortunately, Gray probably couldn't see the forest from the trees...

And I have a question...how does John Kerry stand on the SuperCar project?

Old 07-31-2004, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Is this the same thing as you all were talking about? (didn't wanna log into the newspaper):

http://www.auto.com/industry/super30_20030130.htm

Old 09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by lakedude@Jul 31st 2004 @ 5:07 PM
Is this the same thing as you all were talking about? (didn't wanna log into the newspaper):

http://www.auto.com/industry/super30_20030130.htm
Pretty much...the other article was a little more detailed and much longer though.