Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Ford pinning hopes on new Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Site Founder
Default Ford pinning hopes on new Fusion

It's not every day that a Mustang convertible is upstaged by a mid-size sedan. But on the opening day of the Ottawa-Gatineau International Auto Show this week, the pedestal in the Ford sales area was reserved for the new Fusion sedan -- not the new Mustang, not the Lincoln pickup or hybrid Escape SUV, but the middle-of-the-road sedan.

In the 2008 calendar year, Ford plans to add a gasoline-electric hybrid version of Fusion.
- http://www.canada.com/vancouver/thep...c-53c3324ba2bc

Old 03-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___After seeing the Ford Fusion at the Chicago Auto show last month, I would say Ford has a winner as it is quite stylish, fully featured, has great handling by the previews I have read, and should be less expensive then the Accord/Camry of similar trims. The problem as I see it is that Ford is still messing with the MSRP and std. safety features (you can build and price at Ford.com as a preview) whereas the Camry will be completely redesigned in 06/07 just a few short months after the Fusion arrives and the 7th gen Accord’s are being given away at upwards of $1,000 under invoice in many locale’s around the country today. The Accord’s SAB’s and Curtains are std. features from 05 forward and are a great addition vs. Ford who has been very stubborn to add this particular safety feature all around as a std. feature. The Focus just got knocked off CR’s recommended list because it is missing the side curtains in fact …

___With the AH available today, the Camry Hybrid available supposedly in the 06/07 redesign, Ford will be late to the table (2008) as far as hybridization goes. I simply do not believe gas prices are going to fall much from their current prices if at all and with that, the Honda/Toyota hybrid contingent will steal sales before the Fusion has its legs coming out of the gate … I love my Ranger’s 2.3 L I4 for what I use it for (a truck!) but its ICE w/out balance shafts is not nearly as refined as the Camry or Accord I4’s. The Focus uses the 2.3 w/ BS’s and it is a bit smoother of course but just not in the same league as that of the Accord/Camry automobiles in my experience. I have never driven a late gen Mazda 6 so maybe the Mazda designed I4 has some tricks up its sleeve that I do not know about?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net