Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Gas prices up to record high

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas prices up to record high

Originally Posted by gumby
Yes, Reagan played a big role in reversing a nation in its infancy of thinking about conserving fuel and exploring alternative energy sources. This was definitely not good, and set us back in Energy Independence by at least 15 years. BTW, shale oil production was not economically profitable - at the time.
Reagan's belief was that big government and lack of free market in this country were strangling it. So he cut many, many government programs, outside of defense. Of course, one folly of this is that energy dependence is a MAJOR defense issue.
During Reagan's tenure, though, gas prices began to behave themselves (mostly), inflation moderated, and we all went our merry way - most of us quickly forgetting the 1973-1979 oil shortages and spiraling inflation that resulted. We saw ourselves "weak" as a country though, especially during and just after the Hostage Crisis, able to be taken for a nightmare ride at the whim of OPEC or Iran. After 4 years of Reaganomics, 4 more were granted with another landslide victory. The new "peace through strength" philosophy appeared to be working. We felt strong again as a nation, and we loved that aspect of his charismatic leadership more than the conservation/ecological aspirations of the Carter administration. When Reagan's 8 years were up, we sent his VP, Bush, Sr. in as the new President. The nation liked something about that team.

The poster above with the video-links blamed Bush for everything. I was merely pointing out that it's much older and a little more complex than that.

We've had 15 years since those times to pipe up about conservation and energy independence again. I've only heard a lot of noise again about it since 9/11, and mostly since Katrina (just last year). Why? Because we see gas prices spiraling to $3 a gallon. Now in near crisis-mode, maybe the American people will wake up again to the dangers of foreign-oil dependence. I sure hope so. I do hope that Bush will do more as well, but I'm not counting on it. This, and the "exporting of American jobs" are two of the most important issues facing this country today.
Hydrogen? It could happen. I'm skeptical too, but it's early on. We'll see where the research takes us in 5 years or so. I'd rather see MUCH more funded effort in the PHEV vehicles, though. And I think solar makes more economic sense now, so it's time to move forward there as well (extend and increase the tax credit). Windpower is already growing on its own. Maybe there is hope.
and even during the clinton adminstration, gas prices weren't nearly as terrible as it is now.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Gas prices up to record high

Originally Posted by gumby
. . . [facts we can agree upon, emotions are debatable for another day] . . .

The poster above with the video-links blamed Bush for everything. I was merely pointing out that it's much older and a little more complex than that.

We've had 15 years since those times to pipe up about conservation and energy independence again. . . .
Bush went out of his way to kill the 'high mileage vehicle program' to fund the hydrogen fraud. IMHO, this set US car makers back at least 10 years. Even today, Chyrsler has NO hybrid; GM only light-weight auto-stop; and only Ford has a hybrid worthy of the name. What is worse, I've become skeptical of "demos" and "PowerPoint" engineering presentations. US car makers still don't see beyond the next quarterly report and board of directors meeting.

One of 2000 Democratic contendors said,"You fix the roof before the rains come" . . . Bill Bradley. I sent him $50 and only regret I didn't send more.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Green enthusiast

I know you don't like to hear about it, but I think that the only way that people will start to care about the energy crisis and the global climate change, is if they reveal all the hidden costs of oil, coal, etc, and they eliminate all the subsidies they receive, and they show us what is the real price of gasoline.

When a consumer has to pay five times what he is now paying for his fuel, he will start thinking that his living standards cannot be maintained without starting to think about reducing oil consumption and increasing other alternative power sources.

Clean all the polution that oil and coal burning generates with a tax over them, fund the war operation in Irak with another tax on oil, stop lowering oil prices with subsidies, etc.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Green enthusiast

Of course nobody will do this because he would loose votes.