Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

GM to build hybrid SUVs with enhanced technology

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Site Founder
Default GM to build hybrid SUVs with enhanced technology

General Motors Corp. will build two sport utility vehicles -- the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon -- using enhanced hybrid technology, the company said on Wednesday.

The trucks will be manufactured in Arlington, Texas, beginning in late 2007 while the transmissions, using a hybrid system to boost fuel performance, especially at highway speeds, will be designed and assembled at a transmission plant in Baltimore, GM said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060201/tc_nm/autos_gm_dc_5

Old 02-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned
Default I'll Believe it When They Do It

Doing something counts a lot more than promises. What little technical content the article had sounds like hybrid technology in reverse. The gas engine is supposed to get help at low speeds, then do solo at highway speeds - GM is saying the opposite.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: GM to build hybrid SUVs with enhanced technology

From what I've read, GM's Two-Mode system doesn't seem to save a *lot* of gasoline. However, it seems like it would be pretty easy to implement it in a wide variety of trucks. If *every* GM truck got 4-5 MPG more and emitted 20%-30% pollution, that would make a huge cumulative difference, since there are a vast number of GM trucks sold each year.

Last edited by AshenGrey; 02-03-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
From what I've read, GM's Two-Mode system doesn't seem to save a *lot* of gasoline. However, it seems like it would be pretty easy to implement it in a wide variety of trucks. If *every* GM truck got 4-5 MPG more and emitted 20%-30% pollution, that would make a huge cumulative difference, since there are a vast number of GM trucks sold each year.
Didn't prior trucks, the hybrid engine only does the AC machinery, and contributes to nothing for the wheel? I don't trust GM. GM will probably make hybrids engines just to call product a hybrid, to get naive people to buy them.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know all the ins and outs either but it's a TWO MODE hybrid powertrain. I believe they CAN be a "full" hybrid at low speeds but they will also provide electric boost while cruising at higher speeds. It sounds like they'll provide more electric boost at cruising speeds than any current hybrid set up out there, from the way GM gloats about it improve highway fuel milage while some other hybrid powertrains really don't have much affect on highway milage. GM thinks this will be the model everyone else will follow, as they think it's superior to the other hybrid systems out there.

I keep reading "it'll save atleast 25%", in trucks and SUVs thats "A LOT" of gasoline, maybe the mpg increase isn't as much as a compact car but it sounds like the percentage of mpg increase should be close.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by gordio
Didn't prior trucks, the hybrid engine only does the AC machinery, and contributes to nothing for the wheel? I don't trust GM. GM will probably make hybrids engines just to call product a hybrid, to get naive people to buy them.
Right. GM's first try at hybrid tech was a system called FAS. It was essentially a start/stop hybrid that also offered standard outlets for plugging in construction-related power tools. FAS didn't actually push the car. on the other hand, it could theoretically save gas by eliminating the need to transport a gasoline-powered electric generator to a work site.

I pretty much view FAS as a trial run. I'm guessing that BAS and 2-Mode are the systems that will hit mass production.