Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda to Launch Three New Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Site Founder
Default Honda to Launch Three New Hybrids

Honda is wasting no time in its effort to catch up to rival Toyota when it comes to hybrid technology.

The company is launching no fewer than three separate hybrid vehicles in the next few years, including a version of the Fit, a production version of the CR-Z hybrid sports car concept, and an all new, five-door hatchback design, CEO Takeo Fukui announced during his mid-year address in Tokyo . Car & Driver reports that the manufacturer plans to sell 500,000 hybrids per year globally, with the addition of these three cars along with the current Civic Hybrid.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2315858,00.asp

Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
"Excellent!" Addict
Default Re: Honda to Launch Three New Hybrids

I will buy the CR-Z, as long as it gets > 50mpg, for my commuting car, and leave my Camry Hybrid for family travel.

Last edited by Mr. Happy; 06-05-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I doubt the CR-Z will get 50 MPG, since that one is going to be a "performance" hybrid. However, I'll bet the Fit Hybrid and the "mystery" hybrid will get 50 MPG or better.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
I will buy the CR-Z, as long as it gets > 50mpg, for my commuting car, and leave my Camry Hybrid for family travel.
Heck, I'll be happy with 40 MPG if it's sporty!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by Indigo
I doubt the CR-Z will get 50 MPG, since that one is going to be a "performance" hybrid. However, I'll bet the Fit Hybrid and the "mystery" hybrid will get 50 MPG or better.

From what we understand....the new "Dedicated hybrid" will be priced in the 19k range and be the size of say a Mazda MP5 or Fit on Steroids.

It will be a 5 seater hatch probably smaller than a CRV, Bigger than a Civic...and is pegged to get 45-50MPG.
(Basically will be Directly aimed at competeing with the Prius...and will be put out in much higher numbers that the Civic IMA)

For the CR-Z...expect that in 2010....not before then.

We think it will be the S2k Replacement....so think more Performance than MPG on that one.

For the Fit...no good idea on what to expect with that one yet...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

2015 for the fit hybrid? for all they know the fit could be discontinued by then! This press release is a little disappointing because it implies that Honda has a very limited forecast for the future. I would like to see some news about Honda making an EV. Hydrogen was a failure before it even made it to paper. I do not see the $/mile and overall drive range competing with standard or hybrid ICE vehicles.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

A hybrid Fit sounds like a great idea. If the weight is kept down to say, 2500 lbs, they might get EPA 50 MPG out of it. Maybe more with the latest battery. It would be like a mini Prius.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Engineering first

That is a nitch that is needed ... something more than an Insight but small enough to be a commuting and going for groceries car.

Bob Wilson