Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Lawmakers Set Deal on Raising Fuel Efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Lawmakers Set Deal on Raising Fuel Efficiency

Any time the carmakers say they don't have the technology to build 35 MPG vehicles, I have to wonder how Ford is building the Europwan version of the Focus and Fusion that both get 45+ MPG without being hybridized. I think the Big 3 are in cahoots with Big Oil in a deal to keep American cars dumbed down.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Any time the carmakers say they don't have the technology to build 35 MPG vehicles, I have to wonder how Ford is building the Europwan version of the Focus and Fusion that both get 45+ MPG without being hybridized. I think the Big 3 are in cahoots with Big Oil in a deal to keep American cars dumbed down.
They have the technology; it's just that it costs money.

Most Americans don't buy the hybrid or diesel if they can get the same thing for $4000 less. With our low gas prices, there's no financial incentive in the payback. That's why we need CAFE to force automakers to only offer the greener, more expensive version.

Until then, a $16K base Focus ("mainstream") will always sell better than a $22K diesel Focus TDCi or $22K turbo Focus ST ("niche").

Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by empowah
They have the technology; it's just that it costs money.

Most Americans don't buy the hybrid or diesel if they can get the same thing for $4000 less. With our low gas prices, there's no financial incentive in the payback. That's why we need CAFE to force automakers to only offer the greener, more expensive version.

Until then, a $16K base Focus ("mainstream") will always sell better than a $22K diesel Focus TDCi or $22K turbo Focus ST ("niche").

Heck, I'd pay as extra$6,000 to have diesel andhybrid at the sane time ifit got one close to 80 MPG.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Engineering first

A fiscal and oil conservative, it looks like the oil companies get to keep their tax breaks so all of the new programs are paid for by borrowing money from China and Japan. I get no joy from an unfunded mandate, a "command the tide to halt" bill that levies requirements without a means for paying for them. I hate deficits nearly as much as I hate paying for extra gas or oil.

Bob Wilson