Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Lawmakers Set Deal on Raising Fuel Efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Site Founder
Default Lawmakers Set Deal on Raising Fuel Efficiency

Congressional negotiators reached a deal late Friday on energy legislation that would force American automakers to improve the fuel efficiency of their cars and light trucks by 40 percent by 2020. The proposal, which would require automakers to achieve 35 miles per gallon on average, is similar to a measure that was passed in the summer by the Senate but was bitterly opposed by the auto companies, who argued they did not have the technology or the financial resources to reach that goal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/01/wa...iufnDQ6qZ/Qv7w

Old 12-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Lawmakers Set Deal on Raising Fuel Efficiency

Well the 'fats in the fire' now. No doubt, it will be vetoed but it will be interesting in the meanwhile. I'll enjoy the irony of the chief fuel cell advocate calling this measure impractical.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 12-01-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Now let's look at the ingredients of this "sausage". (per the NT Times article)

1) Unclear, but it eludes to separate classifications for trucks.*
2) Ethanol provisions. Not green at all...
3) Ethanol MPG credits. This is how a Tahoe gets 35MPG or so for CAFE credits... Ugh!

* It is my opinion that the current CAFE standards (specifically the truck classification) is responsible for the SUV craze.

By classifying cars to a higher standard, large ("family") cars are penalized. But since trucks are held to a lower standard, SUVs are not penalized.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Now let's look at the ingredients of this "sausage". (per the NT Times article)

1) Unclear, but it eludes to separate classifications for trucks.*
2) Ethanol provisions. Not green at all...
3) Ethanol MPG credits. This is how a Tahoe gets 35MPG or so for CAFE credits... Ugh!

* It is my opinion that the current CAFE standards (specifically the truck classification) is responsible for the SUV craze.

By classifying cars to a higher standard, large ("family") cars are penalized. But since trucks are held to a lower standard, SUVs are not penalized.
The Tahoe actually doesn't get 35 MPG for CAFE credits, even if Wikipedia says so. E85-capability gives a much smaller 1.2 MPG credit.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Engineering first

http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20071...1122007-1.html

Toyota Statement on Congressional Agreement on Fuel Economy

For attribution to Josephine S. Cooper, Group Vice President, Toyota Motor North America

WASHINGTON, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Toyota supports the passage of this ground-breaking legislation before the end of the year. Toyota applauds the congressional leadership for reaching agreement and taking this very important step toward establishing new, aggressive nationwide fuel economy standards.

As always, Toyota will not wait for new standards to be set, but will move forward expeditiously to apply advanced technologies to improve the fuel economy of our fleet. Toyota will continue to strive to be the most fuel- efficient full-line manufacturer.
Bob Wilson

Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I hate to say this, but anything is better than nothing at this point. The longer we take to act, the more drastic that action will need to be. At this point, I think the American people are starting to get the message on climate change, and they aren't going to be satisfied with half-measures. These proposals, though they do not come particularly near the eventual goal of adressing the issue head on, are certainly steps in the right direction. They are half-measures, yes... but once this energy bill is passed, and a Democrat takes over the Presidency, then more comprehensive reform will come.

As long as there is agitation out there for real leadership on climate change, we're going to see more legislation, better policy taking root, better ideas gaining traction. This will not be the end of the issue, even if it does pass in a less-than-ideal form now. In the meantime, though, we'll have a few things that we need, like the tighter auto fuel efficiency standards. Better that than nothing. I know we prefer ideals, but this isn't an all-or-nothing proposition right now. Rangel is in a pretty good bargaining position (not to mention the other Detroit legislators) and it's even tougher to get around him with a Presidential veto threat hanging out there.

Of course I want a better bill than this one---- the ethanol/corn issue is a problem, and maintaining the SUV/light truck classification is rotten, we should switch to the Chinese-style FE standards on a per-vehicle basis----- but CAFE standards have been stagnant for so long. We need change and we need it NOW. I have confidence that better days are coming (in a little more than a year, when Bush leaves office!), and greener energy bills are going to be possible.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 PM

[quote=leahbeatle;152558]I hate to say this, a Democrat takes over the Presidency.
quote]

As an ex-Chicago resident, this would be terrible unless Daley moves into the White House.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Energy Independence!

"but was bitterly opposed by the auto companies, who argued they did not have the technology or the financial resources to reach that goal."

Are these Detroit's f-b-3? Or are the European and Japanese?
I would understand that Detroit's former big three would oppose such a measure.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Engineering first

It doesn't matter since GW Bush will veto it anyway.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM

Bob, I think you're right. Vetoed no doubt for undue "hardship" on our oil companies and on the Saudis.

Quick Reply: Lawmakers Set Deal on Raising Fuel Efficiency

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands