Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota plans hybrid that runs on batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Site Founder
Default Toyota plans hybrid that runs on batteries

Toyota sees a future in plugging in vehicles — instead of simply pulling in for gas. Already a leader in the hybrid market with its Prius sedan, Toyota Motor Corp. plans to develop a hybrid vehicle that will run locally on batteries charged by a typical 120-volt outlet before switching over to a gasoline engine for longer hauls.

The technology is far from being ready — and there's no timeline for when such cars might be offered for sale.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060719/.../hybrid_cars_1

Old 07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota plans hybrid that runs on batteries

I read a similar article that included the following quotation:

Toyota has "sold more U.S. hybrids so far this year than Cadillac, Buick or Mercedes-Benz has sold cars."
available at: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...rIsComing.aspx

Old 07-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would need to see the sales figures before I would believe that...

By my numbers, Toyota has sold about 96580 hybrids through the month of June (including Lexus).

I can't believe that Cadillac, Buick, and MB haven't sold that many combined!

Last edited by spiff72; 07-21-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
I would need to see the sales figures before I would believe that...

By my numbers, Toyota has sold about 96580 hybrids through the month of June (including Lexus).

I can't believe that Cadillac, Buick, and MB haven't sold that many combined!
It's not COMBINED, it's INDIVIDUALLY. More hybrids sold than Cadillac has sold cars. More hybrids sold than Buick has sold CARS. More hybrids sold than MB has sold CARS.

He conveniently left out trucks (in the case of Cadillac and MB) and he also might have been talking about "worldwide" sales figures, which we don't really have an easy way to verify.

Since he's the North America head of Toyota, I would seriously dobut he would say that if he did not have the numbers to prove it.....

Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
It's not COMBINED, it's INDIVIDUALLY. More hybrids sold than Cadillac has sold cars. More hybrids sold than Buick has sold CARS. More hybrids sold than MB has sold CARS.

He conveniently left out trucks (in the case of Cadillac and MB) and he also might have been talking about "worldwide" sales figures, which we don't really have an easy way to verify.

Since he's the North America head of Toyota, I would seriously dobut he would say that if he did not have the numbers to prove it.....
Ahhhh, I see. I just noticed the "or" between Caddy, Buick, and Benz.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:28 PM

If I got one of those plug-in hybrids I'm wondering how long it would be before I drove off without unplugging it in the morning.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Proudest Monkey

Bring it on, Toyota! I would love to drive a plug-in hybrid. Strangely, I've heard some media people say that this is the next step on the way to having an electric car. But GM had the EV1 in select Saturn dealerships back in 1996! Amusing (and sad considering it's fate...).

Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If I got one of those plug-in hybrids I'm wondering how long it would be before I drove off without unplugging it in the morning.
A solution to this problem would be to put in an ignition immobilizer that would not allow startup if the plug is still connected. Having a pluggable feature that supplements engine power with 120vAC plug is a great idea, for commutes between work and back -- especially if there were an outdoor outlet at work, could really stretch gas tanks out for a long time even with a fairly low cost, low capacity battery.