Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Looking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Looking

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a new car and have really been considering a hybrid. I have been looking at the prius and the civic hybrid. Hopefully inventories will catch up with demand and I can pick one up real soon. Just looking for some recommendations on both.

Thanks

ES

Old 09-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking

I own neither so I can't give any specific recommendations. In the mileage database the numbers are pretty close. So I would suggest test-driving both if possible and deciding which you like better.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking

I can tell you that I love my HCH- it's gotten great mileage, and I can get better than the EPA rating if I try. It's also a fun car to drive, has had no maintenance or safety issues in the year I've owned it, has plenty of zip when necessary, looks stylish, is a great conversation starter, and is a big part of the way I feel I'm 'doing my part' for the environment. Take that as my recommendation, for what it's worth.

Everyone has to pick a car that meets their needs- the fact that you're debating HCH or Prius makes me think a compact with high FE works for you, but aside from those basic facts, there are some significant differences between the two. For one thing, the wait to get a Prius has (whenever I've checked) been much longer than for the HCH. You'd need to find local dealers to be sure. When I bought mine, the HCH was significantly cheaper, too, and that annoying rear window obstructed view in the Prius was a big strike against it, I felt. There's plenty of info on this forum about other differences and the things people think are good or bad about the two models- check the articles pages, the FAQ, and do a search or two through the discussion threads to get some ideas. Good luck with the decision, and welcome to GH!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Looking

Welcome,

Originally Posted by Ebenezer Scrooge
. . . I'm in the market for a new car and have really been considering a hybrid. I have been looking at the prius and the civic hybrid. Hopefully inventories will catch up with demand and I can pick one up real soon. Just looking for some recommendations on both.
You have lots of options and I would recommend test driving each. If you can, rent one for a couple of days and you'll get a better idea.

When you are ready to buy, use Ebay as your friend. It is not uncommon to find good buys on Ebay. If nothing else, it gives you more choices than just the local dealer(s).

I'd also recommend giving the Ford Escape and Camry Hybrid a spin. Both are fine vehicles and will give you a lot of good service. But you also need to characterize your driving.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson