Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New 08 FEH FWD owner, includes buying quest

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 08 FEH FWD owner, includes buying quest

Hi all,

New, ecstatic rookie here. FWD, Premium package (wanted), Chrome, Sat/6CD/Moon (didn't want originally, but considering how tough it was to find one, I took them). Paid a little below MSRP, but should get to take the tax credit. Still happy. Heard rumors of another price increase when the northeast finally gets some in inventory, which might not be until May 08? What in the world was Ford thinking with their distribution model?

Just drove it up from Maryland (see below) to Staten Island. Virtually all 250 miles of highway and according to car, it stated 32.1 MPG. This included some 70MPH driving, but stopped there as 70 seemed to be the magic number to hurt MPG' quickly. 65-70 seemed to be identical to 60-65, but I haven't done real math when I refuel. Can't believe I still have almost half a tank of gas and can still carry hockey equipment,, happy camper.

Buying Quest: Started searching for one about 4 weeks ago since my Honda Element is almost off of lease. That gets between 18-22MPG and with 3 kids, lots of hockey games & gymnastic meets, I put on about 23K miles per year and that probably won't change for a number of years.

As I began the quest to get one, I was virtually shutout within 700 miles of NYC. Had a dealer in NJ "order" an FWD for me, but got a call a week later saying 8-12 weeks would be more like 16-24 weeks due to NYC taxi purchases. Ugh, especially with the Element going away soon.

Frustration grew trying to find ONE FEH/FWD. I even started feeling sorry for the sales folks across the Northeast as they were frustrated since they said they can't get one, since they can't cooperate with Ford dealers "out of region", translated to West Coast Dealers have plenty.

Finally called Ford/HQ, ask for mid/high level manager and said; "This is my last call to Ford, if I don't get some decent information, my next call is to Toyota about a Highlander". After being put on hold for 5 minutes, a nice lady got on the phone and gave me complete inventory within 700 miles of NYC. That meant a grand total of SIX FEH's. 4 AWD and 2 FWD. None of the six would be found via the www.fordvehicles.com inventory search. Called the 2 dealers with the FWD's, made a deal, picked it up today.

Surprisingly tight, quiet and handled well, especially through some windy conditions today. I'll learn more and more quirks that everyone else has over time. Here are some early thoughts:

Ride was comfortable. With the Element, I would have made 1 or 2 more stops just to stretch. Softer ride than the Element.

While the audio/steering wheel option need is obvious, it was nice to have 3 Satellite bands and up to 30 presets. I just wish I knew how to make the "text" output standard when I change stations.

It does change your driving style. I used to do 75+, now I pretty much stop at 70. Learning to coast into lights to see how long I can EV.

Audio and climate controls are similar to Element. Tiny glove box. Interior lights are very bright, almost too bright. Might change the bulbs to a softer color. Next major development is when I have the whole family, with all 3 kids in the back seat. Back seats seemed comfortable to me and they should all fit without killing each other (at least not more than they usually do).

To be continued..............

Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: New 08 FEH FWD owner, includes buying quest

LOL! Wonderful! Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by hockey3
. . .
New, ecstatic rookie here. FWD, Premium package (wanted), Chrome, Sat/6CD/Moon (didn't want originally, but considering how tough it was to find one, I took them). Paid a little below MSRP, but should get to take the tax credit. Still happy. Heard rumors of another price increase when the northeast finally gets some in inventory, which might not be until May 08? What in the world was Ford thinking with their distribution model?

Just drove it up from Maryland (see below) to Staten Island. Virtually all 250 miles of highway and according to car, it stated 32.1 MPG. This included some 70MPH driving, but stopped there as 70 seemed to be the magic number to hurt MPG' quickly. 65-70 seemed to be identical to 60-65, but I haven't done real math when I refuel. Can't believe I still have almost half a tank of gas and can still carry hockey equipment,, happy camper.

Buying Quest: Started searching for one about 4 weeks ago since my Honda Element is almost off of lease. That gets between 18-22MPG and with 3 kids, lots of hockey games & gymnastic meets, I put on about 23K miles per year and that probably won't change for a number of years.

As I began the quest to get one, I was virtually shutout within 700 miles of NYC. Had a dealer in NJ "order" an FWD for me, but got a call a week later saying 8-12 weeks would be more like 16-24 weeks due to NYC taxi purchases. Ugh, especially with the Element going away soon.

Frustration grew trying to find ONE FEH/FWD. I even started feeling sorry for the sales folks across the Northeast as they were frustrated since they said they can't get one, since they can't cooperate with Ford dealers "out of region", translated to West Coast Dealers have plenty.

Finally called Ford/HQ, ask for mid/high level manager and said; "This is my last call to Ford, if I don't get some decent information, my next call is to Toyota about a Highlander". After being put on hold for 5 minutes, a nice lady got on the phone and gave me complete inventory within 700 miles of NYC. That meant a grand total of SIX FEH's. 4 AWD and 2 FWD. None of the six would be found via the www.fordvehicles.com inventory search. Called the 2 dealers with the FWD's, made a deal, picked it up today.

Surprisingly tight, quiet and handled well, especially through some windy conditions today. I'll learn more and more quirks that everyone else has over time. Here are some early thoughts:

Ride was comfortable. With the Element, I would have made 1 or 2 more stops just to stretch. Softer ride than the Element.

While the audio/steering wheel option need is obvious, it was nice to have 3 Satellite bands and up to 30 presets. I just wish I knew how to make the "text" output standard when I change stations.

It does change your driving style. I used to do 75+, now I pretty much stop at 70. Learning to coast into lights to see how long I can EV.

Audio and climate controls are similar to Element. Tiny glove box. Interior lights are very bright, almost too bright. Might change the bulbs to a softer color. Next major development is when I have the whole family, with all 3 kids in the back seat. Back seats seemed comfortable to me and they should all fit without killing each other (at least not more than they usually do).

To be continued..............
No doubt, no doubt at all!

We've got a great FEH FAQ and a lot of helpful folks willing to share their knowledge. I'd test driven one two years ago and know they've made it even better. Great report.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: New 08 FEH FWD owner, includes buying quest

Great story, glad you could "join the club" as it was. I'm almost staggered about hearing all these troubles about getting FEH's (Granted I got mine in 2005 when gas was under $1.80), but you've seem to be making some great progress and you've got one!

Personally I went from a left lane speed demon at 80 miles per hour to right lane slowpoke at 55-60 MPH depending on the limit signs pretty quickly, it's funny how that instant feedback and the "pressure" to perform slows you down and gives you a near instant reward on a lot of levels.

As Bob mentioned, I'd recommend reading the FEH FAQ if you haven't (Link in my signature), feel free to look around, ask questions, and continue your story! Perhaps most essential of all is to enjoy your new FEH!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: New 08 FEH FWD owner, includes buying quest

congrats. How did the FEH drive at 70? Comfortable? noise level? handling? Also would you be willing to share ford HQ phone number? the website is bringing up no vehicles anywhere near or far from me? and I also looking to buy and am depressed at the thought of waiting till fall to have my vehicle. enjoy your new toy!!
krista

Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Krista,

Comfortable: Very! 3 kids (10, 14, 15) have been fine in backseat on 3 hour rides.

Noise: Quiet still, 11K miles later and everyone still can't get used to quiet.
Handling: Excellent, still have to remind myself Ford makes this.
Gas Mileage: Notice very nice improvement now that spring has sprung in the northeast.

HQ #: 1-800-392-3673 I called during business days and had to press "0" to get a real person. When I got the person, I began to tell the tale of woe (oh yeah, mentioned Highlander in the 2nd sentence). I also asked for a VP of marketing or distribution and got forwarded to a person who picked up the phone. From there it was pretty simple.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abelkrista
congrats. How did the FEH drive at 70? Comfortable? noise level? handling? Also would you be willing to share ford HQ phone number? the website is bringing up no vehicles anywhere near or far from me? and I also looking to buy and am depressed at the thought of waiting till fall to have my vehicle. enjoy your new toy!!
krista
Krista, if you haven't found or ordered a FEH yet, go to this site: http://www.woltzwindford.com/ There is a 2008 listed for sale. This would be in the greater Pittsburgh, Pa area.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up at woltzwindford-however I live in Eastern Oregon so unfortunately I don't think I could get to pittsvurg for the sale.
Hockey3-thanks for the info. Called and got a big no where. Was informed by the marketing department (didn;t get to a VP) that they did not, could not , and have not been able to do search for a very long time-and that no one else but a dealer could-but would be happy to give me the names of dealers so I could call them one by one. She didn't even seem worried when I said no thanks that I didn't want dealers calling me constantly and that I would continue to look at the highlander-not helpful at all!!!
but thanks for the try
Krista

Old 04-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by abelkrista
Thanks for the heads up at woltzwindford-however I live in Eastern Oregon so unfortunately I don't think I could get to pittsvurg for the sale.
Hockey3-thanks for the info. Called and got a big no where. Was informed by the marketing department (didn;t get to a VP) that they did not, could not , and have not been able to do search for a very long time-and that no one else but a dealer could-but would be happy to give me the names of dealers so I could call them one by one. She didn't even seem worried when I said no thanks that I didn't want dealers calling me constantly and that I would continue to look at the highlander-not helpful at all!!!
but thanks for the try
Krista

Not to go entirely off topic, but dealers can trade to get a vehicle. Before I ordered mine, there was an '05 FEH that had everything I wanted plus the appearance package in Pittsburg or someplace like that. They offered to make a dealer trade to get it, but I refused unless they'd give me the appearance package for free (While I harbor no judgement to anyone who has it, or loves it, I think it doesn't look that great on the Dark Shadow Gray and isn't worth the extra cost). My adamant refusal to accept the appearance package ended up getting me an '06 made just for me.

Anyway, the point is, you may be able to find one, then do a dealer trade to get it to a local dealer to purchase.