Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

One more late intro.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Stimulate, never preachy
Default One more late intro.

Hello everyone,

Been a lurker on the forums for a while but decided to take a more active role. I learned a lot from the many good posts, and hope to be able to contribute something in the future - "active learning" so to speak.

So I would like to introduce myself. I have been in the heavy-duty hybrid drive manufacturing on and off since 1995 at ISE Corporation. ISE designs and builds series hybrid drive systems for transit buses, trucks, tow vehicles, etc. I've done many different things during the company's early days, including engineering, QA, training, and integrating battery packs. I have an engineering background (aerospace) but have concentrated in marketing and creative areas in the last 18 years. Currently I help small and medium businesses build websites and blogs.

My next target toy car would probably be a smart diesel CDI, when it finally gets to this shore. Plus I am keeping my eyes out for possible electric smart test car with Li-Ion battery coming to Los Angeles in 2009. One can hope, can't he?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: One more late intro.

Welcome to GreenHybrid.com. We're one of the few web sites were all hybrids are welcome with an extensive mileage database. Near as we can tell, GreenHybrid's mileage database predates the rest. <grins>

What kind of vehicle(s) do you have now? Have you considered an after-market conversion to hybrid?

Bob Wilson

Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Stimulate, never preachy

Yes I've browsed the mileage database and it looks impressive.

I currently drive an '06 MB E-350 and an older '91 Honda Accord, which I will replace soon. Getting +300K miles from the Honda is great but I think it's time for something safer and cleaner. I do get near 30MPG from the 6-cylinder E-350 so I can't complain there. My wife loves her '06 Rav4 (very low miles on the odo) and it will most likely be a hybrid when she decides to move on. So our household will have one car to replace over the next year (the Honda) and another (the RAV4) whenever she feels like the right time.

I've driven large hybrid buses in test and training bus drivers so I am familiar with hybrid systems and how to get the most out of them. In the end, for me, it will have to be a combination of fun driving experience, fuel economy and low emissions. So I'll look at all options. Guess I'll have to educate myself on after-market conversion to hybrid too.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Engineering first

We have Jason to thank for the database. It really is a treasure.

Originally Posted by CleanCarTalk
. . .
I currently drive an '06 MB E-350 and an older '91 Honda Accord, which I will replace soon. Getting +300K miles from the Honda is great but I think it's time for something safer and cleaner. I do get near 30MPG from the 6-cylinder E-350 so I can't complain there. My wife loves her '06 Rav4 (very low miles on the odo) and it will most likely be a hybrid when she decides to move on. So our household will have one car to replace over the next year (the Honda) and another (the RAV4) whenever she feels like the right time.
Not bad timing for the Accord replacement. The Camry hybrid is an impressive system. Best of all, more than a few companies are trying to make something competitive. It is nice to have choices. <grins>
Originally Posted by CleanCarTalk
. . . I've driven large hybrid buses in test and training bus drivers so I am familiar with hybrid systems and how to get the most out of them. In the end, for me, it will have to be a combination of fun driving experience, fuel economy and low emissions. So I'll look at all options. Guess I'll have to educate myself on after-market conversion to hybrid too.
The one I'm thinking of assumes you have rear-wheel drive and puts an electric motor in-line with the propeller shaft. When I checked last year, they were working on regeneration but had yet to accomplish it. The chief advantage is using plug-in power and the electric motor to handle low-speeds when the engine is terribly inefficient.

Now one other option is the 'used hybrid' market, the path I took. I had always planned on 'self maintenance' but that isn't for everyone. The nice thing is you get a vehicle whose strengths and weakness can be known. Maintenance manuals are a couple of hundred but you also have access to salvage parts. Just an option but not for those who don't understand the risks and benefits.

We have a lot of excellent vendor and model specific forums. I would recommend visiting them and asking questions. We're mostly a harmless lot. <grins>

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Stimulate, never preachy

I guess many of us engineers like to drive our cars into the ground. My '86 Trouper truck: I drove it to around 350K miles, with one engine replacement and 3 engine rebuilds. Talk about getting your money's worth...

Yes I can see a variety of competitive choices currently available which is definitely a winning prospect for consumers. In addition I think used or pre-owned hybrids will become more available as the market matures and the early adopters begin to replace with newer hybrids. It'll be interesting to know what to look for in a used hybrid before buying. My guess is it should be simpler for the average consumer because there are less things to worry about in a hybrid. What's your experience Bob?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Engineering first

I bought a 2003 Prius in 2005 but this was my thinking. Others may choose something else and that is perfectly fine. We each have to address our requirements:
  • architecture - the choices were Toyota, Honda, and some GM auto-stop systems.
  • creature comforts - how well it works for our family
  • model year - which used vehicle to get
ARCHITECTURE

The bulk of my driving is city so I wanted a system that would maximize low speed performance. So looking at the three options, the Prius consistently had the better low-speed performance. It also had the larger ratio of motor to engine power, again suggesting more electric versus gas power.

CREATURE COMFORTS

My wife has back problems. We already knew the Prius seat is about as perfect as possible for her getting into and out of the car. The four doors and trunk gave us a lot of space to use for trips.

MODEL YEAR

Having selected the Prius, I looked for the 2003 year, the one that would still have some warranty remaining. I also knew this would have the bulk of the factory installed, manufacturing improvements.

PRICE

Using Ebay and Kelly, I soon learned the price of various Prius at different miles and age. I had already worked out my financing so it was just a question of waiting for the right vehicle at the right price.

I came close to buying one in Florida but the dealer was being difficult. Then one came available in Texas for $1k under Blue Book and the deal was struck.

Before flying out to pickup the car, I ordered the Toyota maintenance manuals and the rest is +3 years, +50k miles and +52 MPG. It has been an interesting project.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Stimulate, never preachy

That was not much of a choice you had back then. I guess a buyer has more selections today.

Out here in So. Cal the used hybrids with high-occupancy lane stickers (for use in carpool lanes) actually fetched a $3k-$4k premium over non-stickered ones because they don't issue them any more. This was true last year when I was checking around, probably still true today as they may be even more valuable. People are strange.