Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Will be a Prius owner very soon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Will be a Prius owner very soon!

I will get my new Prius this Wednesday (4-7-05, Salsa Red, Package 5, Leather interior(a must with a 7 year old)) and I am very exicted. I currently drive an '04 Toyota 4Runner, 4WD, which I Love! But, I filled it up yesterday and it was $47 (gas is at 2.15 here in Arkansas).

I haven't even driven a Prius yet, but I am sure I will love it. The only thing I am concerned about is going to a vehicle that is so much lower to the ground. I am sure I will get over it.

If anyone has any tips or tricks to enhance my mileage ( I drive about 500 miles per week) please let me know.

This site is extremely informative. Learning all of the jargon will take a little time though.

Last edited by maltesemommy; 04-02-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Will be a Prius owner very soon!

Jason usualy does first welcomes, however I'm online right now and thought I'd say hi.

We're glad you are joining the club of happy owners. You will be the owner of an enthusiast car very soon. Not many people will ever own an enthusiast vehicle in their lives.

My purchase wasn't quite site unseen, however the test drive I got was limited. But I was sold based upon that test drive. The car isn't a 4Runner by any means, but better, once you get used to being in a vehicle that is closer to the ground again. You might be surprised, the sitting position is quite upright, much more SUV like than not. It is a very comfortable position to ride and drive in.

Don't be surprised if your MPG isn't that hot when you first get it. It takes time for the vehicle to break in. But you are very fortunate to not be taking delievery in the winter when that works against your MPG also.

I feel safe in speaking for others that we are glad you are here

Old 04-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the hello!

I would have loved to test drive one, but here in Arkansas that just isn't possible. I feel very lucky to get one as soon as I did (1 week). I don't really care though, I feel convinced that I will love it. I also have a feeling that we will be a two hybrid household by the end of the year.

As far as the MPG, I get 18 right now, so 45 sounds like a dream!!

I will post more after I get it on Wednesday!

Old 04-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Contributor ($)

maltesemommy,
Welcome! It's great to hear you'll be "part of the club". You're right about the jargon, it's easy to start talking hybrid car lingo without thinking aabout others. Sorry! I'm sure soon enough you may find that you inadvertenly do the same.
Leather interior, eh. You're one of the lucky few. Outside of a few regions across the country, lleather is not an option.
For improving mileage, read a few of the articles in the Learn section of this site. It will help point you in the right direction.

Anyway, it was good to read your introduction. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Oh, and JeromeP, anyone can be the first to welcome new members. No need to wait for Jason or the moderators!

Old 04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I was really surprised that mine has leather. I didn't even know that was an option. Hey, does anyone know if XM can be installed after-market? I have a Roady II that I use with the FM transmitter. If I have to, I will just continue on using it.

I have already read some of the "learn" section and it has been really helpful.

Thanks all!

Old 04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Site Founder

Welcome to GreenHybrid! Wow... the third to respond. I'm slacking!

I had never seen a Prius, either, before I got mine. In fact, I was so used to merely looking at *pictures* that when I walked into my garage to find a brand new Prius, in that very first split second, I thought, "Gee, that's a really big picture of a Prius!"

Leather is not a factory option, but it is sometimes added once the car makes it to US shores. There are two XM Radio integration systems. I have installed PriusXM. There's also CoastaleTech, but I've heard many people are having trouble getting in contact with the owners.