Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

April 2009 - Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Engineering first
Default April 2009 - Consumer Reports

Hi,

I picked up the paper copy at Costco this afternoon and thought I'd make a quick pass through it ... with commentary. There are more details in the issue and I would recommend it as a good read. By all means, feel free to add details I missed. There were good references to other hybrids including the Ford Escape and Lexus.

GREEN CAR (pp. 8)

... the Prius leads this category for the sixth straight year. ...
MIDSIZED SUV (pp. 9)

... The Highlander Hybrid's fuel economy, 24 mpg overall, is among the best of any SUV in our Ratings. Reliability has been excellent.
BEST & WORST (pp. 10)

Originally Posted by The_lowest_scorers
Chevrolet Aveo5 1LT
From CNW Marketing as published by Chris Demorro, "So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. . . . If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot."
Wiki reports, "CNWMR has updated their original "From Dust to Dust" study in 2007 and 2008, in both years hybrids and the Prius specifically have improved and no longer cost more per mile compared to large SUVs." However, CNW Marketing still lists the Prius and other hybrids, at best, in the middle of the pack.
At the time, we called the Aveo a piece of dung and the CNW claims about the Hummer per mile cost, nonsense. Later in this issue, Consumer Reports cost/year over 5 years:
$3,620 - Hummer H2
$870 - Chevrolet Aveo5
Best city mpg (pp. 11)
Toyota Prius 50
Honda Civic Hybrid 47
Toyota Prius Touring 47
... and the worst [Safety] (pp. 12)

Chevrolet Aveo
Used-car reliability (pp. 13)

Best .. Toyota Prius
Most bang for the buck (pp. 18)

. . . the Prius is one the best values you can buy . . .
Chevrolet Aveo5 were at the bottom of the value list, . . .
So looking at their table of Best new-car values (pp. 19,) we find these:
Honda Civic Hybrid
Honda Civic Hybrid, small cars
Toyota Prius (both), family cars
Toyota Camry, family cars
Toyota Highlander Hybrid, midsized SUVs
The Prius, the target of CNW Marketing's ire in 2006, has turned out to be in the April 2009 Consumer Reports, a top dog value. Furthermore, who followed the advice of CNW Marketing, the Chevy Aveo and Hummer, have basket cases.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-01-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Cleaning up English and details.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: April 2009 - Consumer Reports

I have the electronic version of Consumer Reports--no trees are cut down for this purpose --and many readers have had a long standing issue with CR's "scoring" of vehicles. CR refuses to reveal how they arrive at the score of the vehicle. In other words, what percent do the various categories "handling-fit and finish-economy-etc." play in arriving at the final score. In reading the fuel economy reviews of hybrids in particular, it is stunning how poor/low CR reported values are in comparison to owners that actually own these vehicles. It makes one think, performance remains the most important item for CR reviewers. In summary, don't rely upon just one source for your informaton.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Billyk
I have the electronic version of Consumer Reports--no trees are cut down for this purpose . . .
As subscribes we have both and I've noticed the electronic version seems to lag the paper copy. They really are two mediums and the electronic version continues to look like a pale shadow of the paper copy.
. . . --and many readers have had a long standing issue with CR's "scoring" of vehicles. CR refuses to reveal how they arrive at the score of the vehicle. In other words, what percent do the various categories "handling-fit and finish-economy-etc." play in arriving at the final score.
I started looking at their scoring, especially safety, and noticed after making my own spreadsheet and assigning scores, I could figure out "safety." But I agree that they could be more open in their scoring as could Edmunds and all of the various automotive writers. It isn't as if their particular rankings have been that successful.
. . . In reading the fuel economy reviews of hybrids in particular, it is stunning how poor/low CR reported values are in comparison to owners that actually own these vehicles.
As long as the relative values are proportional to the EPA tests, I'm not too worried about their absolute values. What I have a problem with are automotive writers who obviously choose a driving profile to put their favorite 'hotness' in a good light along with comparing manual to automatic transmissions or other miss matched, "apples and oranges" comparisons. At best, they are treating their readers with contempt and revealing an astounding lack of knowledge and ethics.
. . . It makes one think, performance remains the most important item for CR reviewers. In summary, don't rely upon just one source for your informaton.
I eventually figured that out and remain in a somewhat mixed state of mind about it. For example, electronic vehicle stability systems that use angular rate of change to feed back to the brakes and prevent a car from spinning out. Not to long ago, Edmunds turned it off on another vehicle and compared the maximum side load versus the Prius that has it on 24x7. This is a safety feature yet Edmunds turned it off to what ??? Don't use it??? They might as well say, replace your seat belts with terry cloth to save weight.

I would feel better if their rankings showed a 'bell curve' of all vehicles and then showed where their test vehicle showed up in the curve. If we're talking 2-3%, that is in the noise. But if we are seeing 10% differences, that would be significant.

Nice post, just offering some thoughts about the issues.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
As subscribes we have both and I've noticed the electronic version seems to lag the paper copy. They really are two mediums and the electronic version continues to look like a pale shadow of the paper copy.

I started looking at their scoring, especially safety, and noticed after making my own spreadsheet and assigning scores, I could figure out "safety." But I agree that they could be more open in their scoring as could Edmunds and all of the various automotive writers. It isn't as if their particular rankings have been that successful.

As long as the relative values are proportional to the EPA tests, I'm not too worried about their absolute values. What I have a problem with are automotive writers who obviously choose a driving profile to put their favorite 'hotness' in a good light along with comparing manual to automatic transmissions or other miss matched, "apples and oranges" comparisons. At best, they are treating their readers with contempt and revealing an astounding lack of knowledge and ethics.

I eventually figured that out and remain in a somewhat mixed state of mind about it. For example, electronic vehicle stability systems that use angular rate of change to feed back to the brakes and prevent a car from spinning out. Not to long ago, Edmunds turned it off on another vehicle and compared the maximum side load versus the Prius that has it on 24x7. This is a safety feature yet Edmunds turned it off to what ??? Don't use it??? They might as well say, replace your seat belts with terry cloth to save weight.

I would feel better if their rankings showed a 'bell curve' of all vehicles and then showed where their test vehicle showed up in the curve. If we're talking 2-3%, that is in the noise. But if we are seeing 10% differences, that would be significant.

Nice post, just offering some thoughts about the issues.

Bob Wilson
You know, I've never looked at CU's information quite the way either of you guys do/did. And I do use CU, even though I've stopped subscribing.

I thought they were just pointing out good value. Why pay a lot of money for a car that was poorly put together? Showed poor acceleration? Got lousy gas mileage?

Sometimes just a dose of common sense will win out. Hummer. Large. Prius small. Even without Prius' "hybrid-ness" I would think Prius would be cheaper out the door and get better gas mileage, and hence cheaper to operate.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Enthusiast