Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Article: EMF Risk in Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Article: EMF Risk in Hybrids

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/au...=1&oref=slogin

Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Article: EMF Risk in Hybrids

The NY Times Masthead slogan "All the news that's fit to print" could be changed to
"Fear, but Few Facts".

Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 AM

I kind of feel like there was some post a long time ago about EMF in hybrids. I cannot remember.

Either way, I don't know if it is all that bad or not? Maybe the manufacturers just need to add shielding around the wiring and engine compartment?

I have not had any ill effects from driving the TCH...I wonder how long it will take for someone to do a study looking at the effects on a pace maker?

I also wonder how well those hand-held consumer grade meters are. Honestly, I don't put must stock in the cheap meters.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's why I always wear my aluminum foil hat when I drive my hybrid!

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

OK, OK I'm only kidding - not serious. I make this disclaimer as I've found out that no matter how ludicrous the statement made on the internet, someone will always miss the humor.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by lloyd123

OK, OK I'm only kidding - not serious. I make this disclaimer as I've found out that no matter how ludicrous the statement made on the internet, someone will always miss the humor.
I don't know...in this case you might want the lead vest and pants.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What a crock. Batteries store in DC. All the high voltage componets are DC. DC doesn't create a sustainable EMF. It's gotta be converted into AC, and that happens up in the engine compartment.

Any driver is still going to be exposed to EMF in a car from all the computer stuff, but I'd be willing to bet a hybrid has similar fields as a regular car. In fact, Toyta was quoted in the article:

In a statement, Toyota said: “The measured electromagnetic fields inside and outside of Toyota hybrid vehicles in the 50 to 60 hertz range are at the same low levels as conventional gasoline vehicles. Therefore there are no additional health risks to drivers, passengers or bystanders.”

I'd be more concerned with microwave frequency cell phones modulating my brain like microwave popcorn.

Interestingly, Toyota does warn pacemaker users about the keyless door entry system.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM

All the same, the aluminium cap does look sharp.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by lloyd123

OMG! I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time! THANK YOU, Lloyd!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 AM

As I said earlier, the NY Times likes to shoot (make bold unsubstantiated claims) first and ask questions (actually do research) later...only if needed.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-29-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 AM

Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing about nothing. Just another lame attempt to take a shot at hybrids. People are creatures of habit..........break that habit and it will upset their balance. EMF is not something i would worry about...!

Quick Reply: Article: EMF Risk in Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands