Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Canadians on hybrid Aura

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Engineering first
Default Canadians on hybrid Aura

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...y?artid=91214#
November 12, 2007 2007 Saturn Aura Green Line Road Test by Stéphane Quesnel, Auto123 The passenger car inherits the hybrid powertrain!

We see more and more of them on the roads. Hybrid vehicles are taking over! These environmentally-friendly machines combine two energy sources: gasoline and electricity. Following in the footsteps of Toyota and Honda, who pioneered the hybrid segment by investing unfathomable amounts in R&D, Japanese and American automakers are introducing their own "green" vehicles. The latest to come to market is the Aura Green Line from Saturn, a brand that was initially launched in North America to counter the Japanese invasion.
. . .
The hybrid technology used by Saturn does not work like Toyota's. The efficiency ratings are not the same because the electric motor is a lesser contributor. In fact, the Green Line's "mild-hybrid" system does not come with a comprehensive display on the dashboard, like in the Prius. Still, GM claims a fuel economy of 8.5 L/100 km in the city and 6.2 L/100 km on the highway, which would represent a 25-percent improvement over the V6-powered Aura XE.

Of course, the hybrid Aura costs $2,300 more. If you want to buy this car to save money on fuel, start making calculations. One thing needs to be said: it's the cheapest in its class. The Honda Accord Hybrid retails for more than $38,000. The Toyota Camry Hybrid (+ $4,600) and Nissan Altima Hybrid (+ $5,700) are also more expansive.

Interestingly, the [Canadian rjw] federal government's ecoAUTO rebate program for fuel-efficient vehicles rejects the Aura Green Line because it doesn't use a "full-hybrid" system.
. . .
Bob Wilson

Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadians on hybrid Aura

A few things with that quoted paragraphy aren't quite right.

For one thing, it's not because it doesn't have a full hybrid system that doesn't grab it an ecoAUTO rebate. It's because its fuel efficiency isn't high enough!

Also that +4,600 and +5,700 is confusing. Now I know it means the respective cost over the standard Aura (most likely a base model with no options) but given that he mentions the HAH is $38,000, people might mistake it for +4,600 over the $38,000 cost. Besides, it's also bad writing to use a different "style" when making comparisons. Either quote the prices for all 3 or quote the difference in prices from the Aura for all 3.

Lastly, it's expensive, not expansive... lol. Or maybe he really did mean the TCH and NAH are more expansive over the Aura, which is true anyway.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM

I also would say, I mean-- now that the Canadian dollar is about on par with the US dollar, if Canadians really need to spend $38,000 on a HAH, I feel really sorry for my frozen brothers and sisters up north!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevejust
I also would say, I mean-- now that the Canadian dollar is about on par with the US dollar, if Canadians really need to spend $38,000 on a HAH, I feel really sorry for my frozen brothers and sisters up north!
no need to feel sorry. We can't buy it any more.