Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Cloning the Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver
Default Cloning the Prius

This is more humorous than newsworthy ... but since I listen to Frank Giovinazzis' podcasts and read his daily blog thought it was worth including.

They're Cloning Priuses Now

I've gotten into the habit of carrying my camera in the car -- there's too many cool vehicles, and other wheeled things, out there not to capture as many of them as possible.

Take this Toyota Prius trailer for instance. You've got to figure the owner has a sense of humor to have bought this oblong trailer to haul behind their oblong hybrid. Chances are very good the driver is a craftsperson or artisan of some sort.

And doesn't it look like a custom job?

Old 10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cloning the Prius

Hi RichC:

___Although the owner of said trailer may be a craftsman or artisan; he/she was definitely not an engineer. That trailers top to bottom curve is akin to a very dirty Cd of maybe .4 +. You cannot do much worse in the Aero department then what they guy/gal built but it is cute as a Prius II tow behind none the less

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is a Teardrop camper trailer:

http://www.teardrops.net/whatis01.html
In the most general terms, a teardrop trailer is a comfortable, convenient, and compact CAMPING TRAILER! Most often, it has a streamlined "teardrop" shape, especially the original types from the '30s, '40s, and early '50s. There is room for two people to sleep comfortably inside. And there is an area for cooking outside under the rear "hatch" or "galley lid" A typical teardrop is 4' wide, 4' high, and 8'-10' long.
Definitely a tempting little item for those of us who enjoy camping!

There are a number of websites devoted to these things, some with updated parts lists, some sell kits. Some of these are built on top of inexpensive trailer beds from
Harbor Freight. H.F. has a variety of light trailer beds that might be suitable for hybrid owners that need a cheap light trailer. (E.g., 4'x8' $229, 221 lb, 990 lb payload/)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42709
--Walter

Old 10-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cute, and I've actually been thinking about doing something similar, though more aerodynamic...

Here's something from my MINI days:
(I guess that would be cloning a MINI?)

Old 10-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's another cloned MINI, came out rather large...

Old 10-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Very nice MGBGT! Was this yours? If not, did you get inside the thing? I'm very curious how comfortable it would be -- I assume better than most medium sized backpacking tent. --Walter

Old 10-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I can't believe you can fit all that from the diagram into that little Teardrop. Very practical as far as spatiality.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands