Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNET editors' hybrid car buying guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Cool CNET editors' hybrid car buying guide

Hybrid car buying guide
To help you decide whether to make a hybrid your next car (or truck or SUV), we've explored the ins and outs of this technology, then checked out the hybrid models currently on the market and those just around the bend. Learn more

Last edited by SAM Hybrid; 05-10-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: CNET editors' hybrid car buying guide

A nice section. Their review of the FEH seems rather harsh.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I about crapped myself when I read this part:

There are also a lot of myths about the battery packs on hybrids requiring costly replacement. Although it is true that batteries eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, this problem hasn't been seen in hybrid cars yet. Toyota has tested its hybrid system at more than 100,000 miles and found no problems with the battery pack. While the battery packs may eventually go bad, that may be long after the useful life of the car.
Could it be true???? Someone in the media actually talking about the reality of the hybrid battery situation??

Now if only we could get the rest of the media to read & understand this.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Only got through the 1st few sections, but some very baisc errors:

"Just about all hybrids use regenerative braking, a system with generators placed on each wheel to send electricity to the battery pack when the brake pedal is pushed... that hitting the brakes is actually good for the car, as opposed to the generally wasted energy from braking in a gasoline-only car."

1) A false impression that there are windings on the wheels or brakes themselves. All regen comes from running the motor(s) as generators. The motor is nestled up with the transmission, NOT the wheels. Only the HH/400h have additional motors on the (rear only) wheels (do they even participate in regen? I thought they were traction only).

2) Braking is still never 'good' for the car- its still better to coast, using all your built-up kinetic energy in the most efficient manner: actively moving the piece of steel down the road. ALL other energy exchanges (ie storage) are less efficient.

...and I'll ignore the HAH snub in the reviews

Last edited by gonavy; 05-11-2006 at 06:54 AM.