Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Credit crisis - cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Engineering first
Default Credit crisis - cars

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...aeM&refer=news

. . .
U.S.-based automakers are suffering more from tougher lending conditions than Honda, BMW and Toyota Motor Corp., which are in stronger financial shape and have better-funded lending units that remain eager to write loans, he said.
``Not 45 days ago I had someone from BMW Credit sitting in my office asking me if I would spread business around, sending them more used-car business and customers from our Pontiac store,'' Ursomarso said.
Perceived Edge
Similarly, Toyota Financial Services, the largest Japanese automaker's U.S. lending arm, expects credit conditions to help its business.
``We benefit from having a triple-A credit rating,'' George Borst, chief executive officer of the Toyota unit, said in an e- mailed statement. ``This positions us as one of the auto finance companies with ready access to financing.''
The Toyota unit was the largest auto lender in the U.S. by market share this year through June, topping for the first time GM's former finance arm, GMAC LLC, trade publication Automotive News said last month, citing data from Experian Plc's AutoCount research unit.
Toyota Financial Services arranged 6.4 percent of U.S. vehicle finance and lease contracts in the first half, compared with 6.2 percent for GMAC, the report said.
Like ripples in a pool, the rings continue to expand.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor
Default Re: Credit crisis - cars

Y'know... That's a factor I never thought about. So, the credit crunch is going to really be a stumbling block for GM as it tries to get back in the positive.