Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Dallas County Experimenting with Banning Big Rigs in Passing Lane

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Banned
Default Dallas County Experimenting with Banning Big Rigs in Passing Lane

On a strech of I20 going under Dallas, 18-wheelers and other big rigs will be prohibited from using the passing lane so cars have a chance to pass them. It's a six-lane freeway, so it won't necessarily block the exits.

Last night I noticed an Army convoy on I35E. They were going 50mph in the left most lane - why didn't anyone bother them?

MSNBC Story

Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dallas County Experimenting with Banning Big Rigs in Passing Lane

In California, the if there are two or more lanes, big rigs are prohibited from using the left most lane - period. Even trucks or cars pulling trailers cannot use the fast lanes. The only exception is when passing a slower vehicle (when there are only two lanes). I just wish they would add vehicles taller than 6' to the list.

Last month I was in the Chicago area (O'hare) heading for Fort Wayne, and the traffic was a real mess, because all the 18 wheelers were blocking all the lanes.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Hybrid Wanna-be

same law already exists through the Austin metro area. It widens to 3 lanes (or more) and no big rigs in the left lane.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Douglas:

___Here in Illinois including the Chicago area, the 18-wheelers are not supposed to be able to occupy the far left passing lanes either. With all the I-PASS toll booth lanes, and highway re-construction going on at the same **** time here, traffic is a living nightmare as of late and everybody including the OTR’s are forced into lanes they would not normally travel in. **** this road construction so Illinois can squeeze even more money from us commuters I actually feel sorry for the out of staters as they pay double the amount in the cash lanes. Fortunately for some east coasters and myself when I travel out east, they are all on the same system as of the last week and my transponder works there as theirs do here.

I-PASS now works in 11 eastern states

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xcel
...Fortunately for some east coasters and myself when I travel out east, they are all on the same system as of the last week and my transponder works there as theirs do here.

I-PASS now works in 11 eastern states

I hope the rest of the country goes to the same system of toll tags.

Dallas/Fort Worth is experiencing a lot of construction too:
  • The "High Five" - largest mixmaster at US75 & I635 (North Central & LBJ). Longest ramps are one mile - highest ramps are 100 feet - a skateboarder's dream.
  • Lewisville at Hwy121 bypass & I35E - another mixmaster. They close the roads down in the evening - hope this ends soon. The evening closures stopped for a week during the Rita evuacations. Hwy121 will eventually become limited access and a tollroad.
  • Southwest Fort Worth to Cleburne will have a toll road.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:15 PM

I agree with keeping trucks out of the left lane. Actually, I agree with keeping *any* slow moving traffic out of the left lane.

I constantly see backups on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix because of slow traffic in the left lane. Traffic in a wolfpack will be moving at a steady 75 mph. Up ahead they see two semi trucks both in the right lane. As the pack of cars approach the trucks, most cars will all adjust to be in the left lane. Then right before the cars catch up to the trucks, the trailing semi will move over to the left lane to pass the truck he was behind. So now, all cars hit their brakes in a mad braking fiasco! So now, on a 75 mph stretch of interstate, we're all doing 45, waiting for the semi to pass and move back over. And the semi isn't in any hurry! He's probably got the same idea as hybrid drivers when they accelerate... slow equals better fuel economy...

Old 10-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

I am convinced that on highways, it is not excess speed that kills, but the differnces in the speed of the traffic. If it is 55 or 75

Old 10-04-2005, 11:35 AM

Hi Siliconhills:
Originally Posted by siliconhills
I am convinced that on highways, it is not excess speed that kills, but the differences in the speed of the traffic. If it is 55 or 75
___Then it is more important then ever in these initial stages of trying times ahead to slow those exceeding the speed limits by a large amount. Have you ever seen the stopping distance stats of a 40 Ton rig from 70 mph? As much as 3X’s the distance of a regular sedan can be expected! I will not even bother discussing the energy dissipated if one were to hit any of us because the numbers are stupidly large. Stopping distances of a big rig can be measured in tenths of a mile, not feet …

___Back on track. Here in IL., trucks over 4 tons and travel trailers are limited to 55 mph by law even in the 65 mph zoned areas. This does not cause a problem hat I see as the right hand lanes are where these individuals camp as they should. Not all travel at 55 mph of course but some do with the vast majority in the 60 - 62 mph range.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

Sort of related - it takes a mile for a train to stop doesn't it?