Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Post Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Article on:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813/...brid_tinkerers

I'd want to see some real world results, 250 mpg seems like a stretch with present technology.

Didn't someone already try extra batteries in a Prius and found out it wasn't worth it?

Regards,

Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver
Default Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
Didn't someone already try extra batteries in a Prius and found out it wasn't worth it?
I would think that a lot would depend on the kind of driving you do and your definition of "worth."

For most looking at 'work-to-home' commuting the idea of charging your extra batteries for a quarter by plugging in at night might make the difference between a zillion miles per gallon and 50MPG. I've talked with several people that tell me they are waiting for a plug in hybrid ... believing that it offer the maximum versatility between great fuel economy/low emissions and the need for longer distance 'away from the plug' driving. It make sense to me ... a non-hybrid driver???

BTW ... great article.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Seems to me like those extra batteries would have to be ultra-light; otherwise the additional weight would negate any possible fuel savings. Perhaps the car was stripped down beforehand to accomodate that weight.

I agree plug-in hybrids would be great. Use the wall-chargeable battery for local driving and the regular jybrid setup for cross-country driving. Again, that won't be possible until the batteries get lighter, cheaper and easier to replace. (I decided against buying a rechargeable electric lawn mower recently when I learned the battery would have to be replaced every 3 years or so at $150 a pop.)