Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Florida - hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Engineering first
Wink Florida - hybrids

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/09/Ci...inks_hyb.shtml
"Hernando rethinks hybrid choice
Concerns about cost and unpaved roads lead the Sheriff's Office to decide against buying any more.

By JONATHAN ABEL
Published July 9, 2006
BROOKSVILLE - The Hernando County Sheriff's Office decided to run a little experiment back in 2003. It bought two Toyota hybrids at just under $20,000 apiece and tested them against the Ford Taurus.

Now, three years later, the number of hybrids on Florida's roads has grown significantly, and industry experts say there are as many as 450 hybrids in Florida government fleets.

But the Hernando Sheriff's Office has decided not to buy any more of them, said Maj. Royce Decker, who oversees the department's fleet.

He blames the number of unpaved roads, the maintenance costs and the high purchase price of the cars for the department's decision not to pursue Priuses.

"I can get three Tauruses for the price of two Priuses," Decker said. "If we were a metropolitan area like the city of Clearwater, hybrids might be right for us, but we don't have enough hard-top roads." . . .

The obvious comment is "wrong tool for the wrong job." The Ford Escape comes to mind as an obvious better fit for poor roads. But something else caught my attention:

". . .
For example, deputies who travel out of the county for training take the hybrids for better gas mileage, Decker said. Together, the two cars have racked up 91,000 miles at an average of 32 to 38 miles per gallon.

. . ."

Getting 32 to 38 miles per gallon strongly suggests something I've been concerned about for sometime, the lack of detailed driving instructions and vehicle assistance to get even EPA numbers. I can get those numbers with my Prius by:

To Save Gas

1) avoid driving Prius over 65 mph

2) avoid driving close to 42 mph, 0-38 mph and 46-65 mph works great

3) limit warming-up speed to 25 mph for first trip of day, 1-2 miles

4) cruise last mile at ~30 mph to get battery usage

5) check tire pressure caps for "Green"

For Maintenance

1) fill oil to 3/4 between "E" and "F", never fill over "F"

2) keep tires at 42/40 psi, include 40 psi tire caps

3) change transaxle oil at 30,000 miles, drop and wipe pan first change

This is not in the owner's manual. I'll write it up and send them a letter with my suggestions in the form of a "driver's check-list." Since they have two, maybe they can try them on one of the two vehicles and measure the results.

Notice, no one mentions the Ford Tarus MPG.

Heart warming are these results:

". . .
The Clearwater Police Department has seven hybrids - in a rainbow of colors from gold and silver to black, blue, brown, and red - and is looking to buy more, said Rick Carnley, the city's assistant director of general services.

"We've been overly satisfied with them," he said.

At the Marion County Sheriff's Office, fleet manager Wyatt Earp - whose great-uncle was the famous Wyatt Earp - said it takes only five or six years for his hybrids' fuel savings to make up for the extra purchase price.

His department has 10.

Lt. Jenell Atlas, spokeswoman for the Martin County Sheriff's Office, drives a hybrid and loves it.

"We believe, for us, it is environmentally conscious and money saving," she said. Her department has 17 Toyota and eight Honda hybrids.

. . ."

It is true, this article begins with the one department that is unhappy with two hybrids. In news, the unusual or unexpected sells. But I'm glad to see the Martin County Sheriff's Office has a mix of Toyota and Honda hybrids.

One other comment that every tax payer should be sensitive to:

". . .
The competition for the hybrids is the Ford Taurus, which sells for about $12,000 - $7,500 less than a Prius. . . ."

I suspect the Ford Taurus is a stripped model without the 'standard features' of the Prius. This remains a problem we can not solve until utilitarian hybrids show up. But today, the hybrid manufactures have waiting lists and can add high profit margin accessories without worry if the vehicle will be sold.

Comments?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-10-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Florida - hybrids

It definitely would have been nice if their FE in the Taurus was reported. However, I did not get the impression that they were reporting the 32 to 38mpg as a bad thing.

Although the Ford Escape would be better for their unpaved roads, the FE improvement over their Tauruses would be even less, and the cost differential would still be there. At least it would satisfy their need to buy "American" vehicles.

I wonder if these types of drivers are even interested in tips to improve their fuel economy. Since the drivers are not paying the bill, they have no financial incentive to drive efficiently. Also, they are probably pressured by their supervisors to rush during their errands.

The positive: Marion County has 17 hybrids in their fleet (and are very happy with them). Miami-Dade county has already purchased 150 and plans to purchase 150 more next year.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Together, the two cars have racked up 91,000 miles at an average of 32 to 38 miles per gallon.

Someone failed second-grade math, nevermind the weak law of large numbers.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foo monkey
Together, the two cars have racked up 91,000 miles at an average of 32 to 38 miles per gallon.

Someone failed second-grade math, nevermind the weak law of large numbers.
I'm sorry, but I do not follow. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks.