Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Gas-friendly Cars Compete With Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Gas-friendly Cars Compete With Hybrids

By G. CHAMBERS WILLIAMS III, Published on 10/29/2005 in the New London (CT) "The Day.com"

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/r...D-AB6AB8A3A6AA

...there are cars on the market that cost a lot less than even the cheapest hybrids yet get fuel economy that is double that of most SUVs and, in some cases, is close to what some hybrids achieve....Most operate on gasoline, but Volkswagen even has a diesel with fuel economy about the same as the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic hybrids. .
Volkswagen Golf...the 100-horsepower diesel, with EPA ratings of 42 city/49 highway.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas-friendly Cars Compete With Hybrids

I'm probably most impressed by the Corolla, 32 city / 41 hwy with a stick, is pretty good! By comparison the Chevy Avea with 27 city / 35 hwy pales. The Civic with 30/38 also ain't bad, but I'm more impressed by the similar 32/37 of the xA, since it is a very zippy and peppy car!
I remember reading somewhere that in Europe VW offers the Golf with a 150 hp turbo diesel. NE1 know what mileage that version of the Golf gets?

Old 10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Happy Owners

Originally Posted by MGBGT
I'm probably most impressed by the Corolla, 32 city / 41 hwy with a stick, is pretty good! By comparison the Chevy Avea with 27 city / 35 hwy pales. The Civic with 30/38 also ain't bad, but I'm more impressed by the similar 32/37 of the xA, since it is a very zippy and peppy car!
I remember reading somewhere that in Europe VW offers the Golf with a 150 hp turbo diesel. NE1 know what mileage that version of the Golf gets?
I'm a little defensive on the topic of the mileage of my 4wd FEH (people aren't usually impressed), so let me point out the the micro-sized Aveo gets basically the same mileage that I do in my truck, and the Civic and xA gets basically the same mileage as the 2wd Escape. I paid more but I also got more capability in terms of hauling and backcountry travel.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

I've been considering a 5-speed xA or a Matrix...the few extra MPG of a non-hybrid Civic are not worth it to me because I like the (admittedly miniscule) extra cargo space of a hatchback. The xA is appealing because it comes cheaper with more creature comforts.

Since I like the idea of some cargo space, I have been looking at the small SUVs. I was surprised to see the 5-speed Escape this year, I don't remember seeing that last year. There is a brand-new RAV4 for 2006 but the Toyota website doesn't have any details until early next month.

I wish there were some kind of 3/4 scale Subaru with a 1.5L 4cyl, 4wd, and a 5spd.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

I'm actually looking to get a car next year and the Corolla Standard (S Version) is on the top of my list. Good sporty looks and great mileage, plus more room to haul people than my truck.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by hal&judy
I'm a little defensive on the topic of the mileage of my 4wd FEH (people aren't usually impressed), so let me point out the the micro-sized Aveo gets basically the same mileage that I do in my truck, and the Civic and xA gets basically the same mileage as the 2wd Escape. I paid more but I also got more capability in terms of hauling and backcountry travel.

I can relate somewhat, but it's pretty easy for me to illustrate the difference.

I'm a fencing teacher, in Michigan, who teaches all over the place. When there's three feet of snow, I'm carrying equipment for 30 people (Figure equipment for 2 is about a full golf bags size), which would vehicle would you rather ride in during said commute as passenger 3? (I'm also taking an assistant) A 4WD Escape that gets 33 MPG or a 2WD Golf that gets 45 MPG? (And for some of my drives, I average 35 and 37 MPG round trip!)

Also, name another 4WD SUV that gets over 30 MPG without trying? As a raw number, I'll admit, 35 MPG isn't that impressive. Add in 4WD and SUV, and that becomes a different story.

Seems a lot more impressive that way.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___I can bet the upcoming Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris will receive close to 90 mpg in a high speed P&G. I only wish the 03 Corolla was a stick so I could find out for myself

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

oh boy! double what an SUV gets!

i'm getting about 70 mpg on my daily commute. i was getting 12 with my 88 jeep grand wagoneer. 12 is not all that much worse than an suv. but 70 is a lot better than any non-hybrid.

btw, my mpg stat at the bottom is 58,000 miles of 1st owner, and 8000 miles of me. after i get my new battery pack i think i will reset the LMPG tally.