Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Green Smokescreen

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Green Smokescreen

Interesting Article.... food for thought:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20060411/...20060407879124

Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Green Smokescreen

From the article:

"What people don't know, and what we wanted to tell them, is that Toyota is not as green as it makes itself out to be," says Danielle Fugere, director of climate change at BlueWater. "Yes, it has some good green technology, like the Prius. But Toyota has consistently lobbied against every attempt to increase vehicle fuel economy. It's part of a group of auto makers suing against California's greenhouse gas law."
Now, why would Toyota want to do that, assuming it is true? Maybe it's just a good business decision. Toyota seems comitted to bringing more and more hybrids to market. I think because they know what we all secretly know, that gas prices are going to rise exponentially as time goes on, and it's the only truly sound short to mid term business strategy there is. So they are simply trying to stay ahead of the curve.

If other manufacturers don't pursue such an agressive route toward fuel savings (and emissions reduction, since greenhouse effect isn't getting any better either), then Toyota stands to gain market share as the market forces come to bear for cleaner, more efficient cars. Knowing that other manufacturers, particulary their American competitors, likely won't "go green" without legislation or the market forces dictating it, Toyota stands to be head and shoulders above them when the house finally comes tumbling down and gas prices go ballistic.

Said another way, perhaps Toyota is just trying to take advantage of the short-term, short sighted nature of the American automobile production cycle.

Last edited by toast64; 04-11-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I sort of chuckled out loud at a couple points. Looks and awful lot like a couple recent threads. I think some auto makers should be held accountable for doing exactly what I feared they'd do - produce a bunch of power-hybrids on large vehicles without a corresponding balance in offerings with fuel economy in mind. They can say what they want about Toyota, but at least they are leading the way in offering hybrids across all models.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned
Default Great Article

Yeah - With the Durango and Ram, what is Chrysler doing to make things better?

If steriods did to autos what they do to people, I'd sworn Victor Conte has been selling them like WalMart to Chrysler - doesn't this truck remind you of Barry Bonds?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by toast64
From the article:

Now, why would Toyota want to do that, assuming it is true? Maybe it's just a good business decision. Toyota seems comitted to bringing more and more hybrids to market. I think because they know what we all secretly know, that gas prices are going to rise exponentially as time goes on, and it's the only truly sound short to mid term business strategy there is. So they are simply trying to stay ahead of the curve.
Interestingly Toyota does offer 6 completely different SUV model's in it's linup..... they would have a vested interest in keeping gas prices low just like GM. Don't mean to bash Toyota or anything. I admire their company, as they are green in many other areas, such as their use of low emissivity plastics, and the ecological design of their plants. They are a world ahead of American manufacturers in these areas.