Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hype vs. reality - Will bubble burst once consumers do the math?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Thumbs down Hype vs. reality - Will bubble burst once consumers do the math?

Another Article this one By Jeff Plungis / Detroit News Washington Bureau with Skewed facts, about Hybrid ownership.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/editoria...A19-349691.htm

The last Paragraph

"The Big Three believed their own rhetoric that nobody cares about fuel economy," said Daniel Becker, director of the Sierra Club's global warming program. "Now people are lined up around the block to buy hybrids. Americans finally have a choice between gas guzzlers and efficient vehicles. We'll see which one they choose."

says it all. If only the press would emphasize the real saving - the environment - that affect everyone on earth and not just those that chose a more environmentally friendly vehicle, I beleive you would see more people making a green choice.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Banned
Default Re: Hype vs. reality - Will bubble burst once consumers do the math?

This is a very good quote from the article:

"Irrationality is what makes the car market go round," DeCicco said. "People evaluate cars they same way they do everything else -- a combination of research, instinct and emotion. If people did a cost analysis to that level of economic rigor, they'd never buy a new car, period." "Irrationality is what makes the car market go round," DeCicco said. "People evaluate cars they same way they do everything else -- a combination of research, instinct and emotion. If people did a cost analysis to that level of economic rigor, they'd never buy a new car, period."

This is the stuff Keith Bradshier talks about in his book High and Mighty - people are not that pragmatic in car purchases. I'll conceed that even us hybrid drivers are a not always logical in our reasons for getting our vehicles - stuff like coolness, etc.

Bradshier takes up an arguement that has been discussed here several times: What will it take for Americans to start driving fuel-efficient vehicles? You have several types of people that drive gas-guzzeling vehicles:
  • Those that really need to carry a lot of people or things. They are not going to give it up. Fortunately they are probably only 10% of the population (guessitimate on my part)<
  • Lower-income people that bought trendy vehicles when gas was under $2 a gallon. Higher prices are forcing trade-in with this group.<
  • People with long commutes. Again, they are considering trade-ins.<
  • Affluent people with luxury gas-guzzlers. This is the group that gets me so bent out of shape. They can easily afford $5 a gallon gas - it's nothing compared with the cost of what they drive. Getting this group to stop flaunting waste as a statement is very problematical. About the only things that might work is for huge vehicles to become a fashion crime and make things like parking lots, etc. unaccomodating. Not sure that will make a big dent.<

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-17-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I've said it plenty of times, but it bears repeating:

Most people don't buy a hybrid because they're too cheap to buy gasoline!

The fact that they get really good gas mileage is certainly a bonus, however. The anti-hybrid media always seems to overlook the fact that hybrids are close to pollution-freem are reliable, have high trade-in values, are quiet, and it's very patriotic to own one (less $$ going to the terrorist-run Middle East).

I drive a heck of a lot, so I've already broken even on the hybrid surcharge. But I didn't buy it because I wanted a financial payoff. I bought my car because of the low pollution and the patriotism.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, agree with all of you, and those that keep waiting for the hybrid bubble to burst just don't understand some of the processes that may bring some folks to buy certain types of car. As you stated above, some people buy cars for reasons other than money, but then, some people apparently can only think in terms of money.
My previous car before the Prius II was a 2003 MINI Cooper S, and it was hands down the most fun car I have ever owned or driven. After years, I had finally found the car I could really identify with, I was really comfortable with. I spent a lot of time customizing the car - not in teh conventional way, but by ever so slightly changing the interior trim, improving sound quality, etc.. Yet as much as I loved that car, I gave it up to buy a Prius. Not because I love the Prius. I like it, and it's a great car. Not because I'm saving money. I bought it because to me it's the only thing that makes sense to do right now, and I figured I would be a hypocrite if I would complain about climate change, environmental degradation, pollution, etc..., and would not drive the most frugal car I could afford that would meet most of my transportation needs. That's why I bought the Prius. That's why I will keep it.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I swear the Detroit News has a thing against Hybrids, which is funny, the Detroit Free Press doesn't.

I'm surprised we didn't hear about the toxic batteries.

Oh well, Blah blah blah, I can't hear you, I'm saving too much money!

Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
I swear the Detroit News has a thing against Hybrids, which is funny, the Detroit Free Press doesn't.

I'm surprised we didn't hear about the toxic batteries.

Oh well, Blah blah blah, I can't hear you, I'm saving too much money!
Hmmm... I thought it was a pretty good article. As a consumer "poised" to purchase a hybrid, I have many times run through the "numbers" on how much it will take me to recover my additional outlay for the vehicle.

I thought the piece was very fair, balanced and well written. It had a lot to say and expressed things that I had considered, and many of my friends and coworkers have discussed.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

True. However, This is probably an even smaller segment of the population than the 10% mentioned earlier.

What you said made me reevaluate my opinion of the Lexus 400h though.. Perhaps luxury hybrids have their place after all? If hybrid is considered a desireable luxury accessory then it's a good thing.

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
  • Affluent people with luxury gas-guzzlers. This is the group that gets me so bent out of shape. They can easily afford $5 a gallon gas - it's nothing compared with the cost of what they drive. Getting this group to stop flaunting waste as a statement is very problematical. About the only things that might work is for huge vehicles to become a fashion crime and make things like parking lots, etc. unaccomodating. Not sure that will make a big dent.<<

Old 10-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Buying purely for $$$ saving on gas isn't enough to justify it. Thankfully, we get other benefits: increased range (less time spent filling gas), quiet operation (soothes the ears, imagine pure silence during LA gridlock), and AT-PZEV emissions.

It's also better if you finance the car rather than buy it outright (provided the interest rate is reasonable). My reasoning being that you start saving on gas IMMEDIATELY, while effectively putting off the initial investment for 5 years. And money saved immediately could put put into investments.

So assuming you shell out 5K the first year in car payments, and save $500 in gas costs, you are in the hole $4500 the first year, then $9000 the next, etc.

Originally Posted by fish_antlers
Hmmm... I thought it was a pretty good article. As a consumer "poised" to purchase a hybrid, I have many times run through the "numbers" on how much it will take me to recover my additional outlay for the vehicle.

I thought the piece was very fair, balanced and well written. It had a lot to say and expressed things that I had considered, and many of my friends and coworkers have discussed.